Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Semibluff free showdown?

28/14 over only 14 hands.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...
Old 02-28-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Semibluff free showdown?

- you don't have a read that he can let hands go
+ It's a great board to make a move on.
- the pot is small (you're investing 2 BB to win 5)
+ you can fold if he 3bets (getting 9:1 on a paired board is no good)

The negative points are more important here imho...
I would fold the hand
Old 02-28-2007, 08:38 AM

I think you have to make this play once in a while. But I wouldn't do it against a player I've only played 14 hands with in a small pot.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:52 AM

Another negative point is, if he's bluffing he will fold now, and he might continue to bluff the river gaining you 2 bets if you just call down and costing you the same. In addition you get a chance at the T/K/Q to beat him if he does have you beat. (on the other hand he also gets that chance when he is behind)

The question is probably if he would fold a made hand like a small pair, or a hand with enough outs to call.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:56 AM

I prolly suck but I think its an easy fold until I get good reads on his donking range.

Small pot and few outs - possibly none.

Ax is everybodys favorite donk hand on a paired flop and I would expect that to be his hand a lot.

You are folding to the 3-bet right?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 AM

What if he won't 3 bet, but calls and donks the river? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Actually I think folding &gt; calling &gt; raising
Old 02-28-2007, 10:15 AM

I like it, put me in the semi-bluff raise camp. Not only could you fold out better hands like 66, you also can still have the best hand with the nonpair nuts those times the villain is semi-bluffing a FD.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another negative point is, if he's bluffing he will fold now, and he might continue to bluff the river gaining you 2 bets if you just call down and costing you the same. In addition you get a chance at the T/K/Q to beat him if he does have you beat. (on the other hand he also gets that chance when he is behind)

The question is probably if he would fold a made hand like a small pair, or a hand with enough outs to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If hes bluffing he has 6 outs, getting a 6 outer to fold is not a bad thing. If the King or Queen will give us the winner on the river, were extremely unlikely to get 3bet on the turn. Semibluff raise/folding the turn does cause us to miss out on hitting a Ten once in a while. That is certainly an expense to making this play.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:03 PM

when i posted a similar hand (and somebody also had one) we both had A-high draws which seemed to make people okay with the semi-bluff raise here 'unless villain will bet the river again as a bluff' because then it might be better to just call and try to catch a(nother) bluff with the nut-no pair.

if you think there's a decent chance villain can fold a 6-outer or a pair, i'm totally with it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bbbushu
Old 02-28-2007, 02:08 PM

I usually make these plays without thinking to be honest vs everyone I play except a couple I know never fold to me.

I like to have a bit of a read tho atleast, have played with them a bit before.