Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Online Dating? Any recommendations?

[ QUOTE ]
Join Myspace and get hit on by a cute 19 year old like I did (when I was 23). If that doesn't work, join JDate, the girls on it are surprisingly hot...however, the whole 'not being Jewish' thing might be a a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am shocked at the number of chicks I know who will only date jewish guys.

edit: that became that way the DAY they graduated college
Old 02-21-2007, 12:54 PM

I created a profile on Match.com and I haven't paid any subscription fees yet. There is a feature that lets you see how many times your profile has been viewed. The first day the profile went up, I had one email sent to me, which I couldn't check,yet I still had zero views. Sounds like a scam?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really liked match.com back when it was free

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2007, 01:17 PM

I met my wife on Match. It is a great way to meet lots of girls that you otherwise would have no access to. My advice is to be as specific as possible. Don't try to appeal to as many girls as possible. Try to be appealing to the 10% you are actually going to be interested in, rather than being generic. Don't be afraid to alienate some at the expense of appealing to others.

And to make it even more appealing, I slept with 3 of the first 4 I went out with on the first date, and with six different women overall over six months before I met my wife. And I am no better than a 6.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I created a profile on Match.com and I haven't paid any subscription fees yet. There is a feature that lets you see how many times your profile has been viewed. The first day the profile went up, I had one email sent to me, which I couldn't check,yet I still had zero views. Sounds like a scam?

[/ QUOTE ]
My guess is that the e-mail was a welcome message from the site, which explains the incongruity. What I don't get is how you couldn't check it.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 PM

I would think it's pretty easy to get laid on these sites, and also easy for the girl you just [censored] to turn into a stalker.

Maybe meet her in a public place and [censored] her at her place.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I met my wife on Match. It is a great way to meet lots of girls that you otherwise would have no access to. My advice is to be as specific as possible. Don't try to appeal to as many girls as possible. Try to be appealing to the 10% you are actually going to be interested in, rather than being generic. Don't be afraid to alienate some at the expense of appealing to others.

And to make it even more appealing, I slept with 3 of the first 4 I went out with on the first date, and with six different women overall over six months before I met my wife. And I am no better than a 6.

[/ QUOTE ]
What was your overall strategy? I mean, I really like your idea of a narrow focus, but how many e-mails did you swap before you got digits, how quickly did you accelerate it to a phone conversation, how long after initial contact was your first date, etc.?

Aside from X-Factor - who has game most of us only dream of - this is one of the biggest success stories in this area that I've heard of. The reason I would consider something like this is that I'm way, way better with the written word as an introduction than breaking the ice in an inherently hostile bar environment. Plus I hate paying $8 for drinks if I can find broads from the comfort of my own sweat-soaked computer chair.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My guess is that the e-mail was a welcome message from the site, which explains the incongruity. What I don't get is how you couldn't check it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The site sent me an email saying that a member sent me a message, so I don't think it was a welcome message.

edit: Just to make it clear, you aren't allow to check messages until you pay the subscription fees. So a possible scam is for them to make fake profiles and send fake messages to entice people to pay the fees.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:39 PM

Met my bf on Christian Mingle and have been dating now for about 1 1/2 yrs. I would try several sites though.. be specific about what you want, pickey about who you message, and persistant if they don't reply at first.

Oh, and keep your eyes open for possible red flags when you meet (in a pub place obv.) I think my bf was the 3rd person I met.

Good experience, I would recommend it as long as you're smart about it. "Aim small, miss small."
Old 02-21-2007, 01:43 PM

First, I'm older than most on here - 35, but 30 when I met my wife on Match. So it was a different demographic than you're dealing with.

But a few good rules of the online dating world:

1. E-mail back and forth for no more than 4-5 days, talk on the phone once and then meet. The idea is to meet lots of girls, not identify the perfect one.

2. Be respectful - if they want to blow you off after one date, that's gotta be cool with you. It's easy and anonymous going, and should be easy and anonymous going out. My basic rule was unless we've gone out three times or more, I don't owe, or expect, anything more than a "Thanks, but no thanks and good luck" e-mail.

3. As far as being specific and narrowing the field, avoid any and all annoying cliches. Don't say, "I love partying, but am also cool with sitting home watching movies" That's not gonna do it. Either you want a partyer, or you want a girl who is chill. Figure out what kind of girl you want to meet, and zero in on her.

4. Don't be too forward/suggestive in e-mails. You'll seem creepy. On my first three first-night scores, I would never have predicted any of them. It just kinda happened. Two of them I never went out with again (one my choice, one hers). My point is, girsl are willing to fool around on these dates, but it's a result of a good date, not something they are setting out to do.

Those are my suggestions for anyone looking to try online dating. It can be a lot of fun - I would definitely try it again if I was a single guy.