Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: PHIL GORDON!!!!!!!!!!

No one here is pushing half ass poker books or posing as a professional commentator trying to cash in as an expert in something which they clearly are not. Phil Gordon is doing this - so he is a douche. He may be a nice guy and everything - but he's just another instance of those who can't do teach/commentate. I like Gabe - not because he is supposedly an expert - but because he is a PRO in front of the camera and hilarious.

Gordon's recent tourney results do not compare to his peers - Grinder, Negreanu, Ivey, Cunningham, Lindgren. Its not even close - and i don't know of anyone that seriously considers him a great tourney player. Finishing at the final table of the ME is a good accomplishment - but what about Varkoniy and Moneymaker - are you going to buy their books or consider them experts?

I don't know if he plays high stakes cash games - but I don't recall anyone claiming he is a great cash game guy like greenstein, ivey, reese, brunson, forrest etc.

And as far as i know, he doesn't crush online - he's no sbrugby, luigi (patrik antonius) or any of the others.

All i can go by is what i've seen, and his recent performances show that he's just not on the level of those that are supposedly his peers.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:24 PM

Desert Cat,

You list what at first glace appears to be an impressive list of final tables, but doesn't he enter almost every single WSOP and WPT event? Granted, he's free rolling in those tourneys courtesy of Full Tilt, so he's an overall tourney winner. But for a guy with numerous podcasts, books, magazine gigs and poker appearances, the results are a little shy of impressive to me.

BTW, if forced to go heads-up against any of the members of the Full Tilt crew, Gordon would probably be the most popular choice, (besides Conie Gowen). Don't you agree?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:36 PM

He's definitely way over-rated and absolutely full of himself. Still, he is reputedly a decent guy IRL and has had some success (WSOP final tables & WPT wins) to back it up. He's really not deserving of much hate. I rank him as one of those players I'd just as soon not watch, but can stand if I have to.

Also--"Gabe Kaplan is a noted rock" Who made that note? It seems some of the pros have heard it too, judging by the way they play him, yet every time I see Gabe on TV he's pretty loose and aggro, practically a maniac. Seems to bluff and gamble a lot.

(As for playing heads-up, Gordon would be a decent choice, but Full Tilt has some others on the payroll that would just as good or better IMO. Steve Brecher (sp?), Gavin Smith, Clonie Gowen, Steve Zolotow, etc.)
Old 02-19-2007, 11:09 PM

I didn't even know he played poker anymore
Old 02-19-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do we really know that this guy is a winning player at all? Not like it would be hard to hide losses.

[/ QUOTE ]
He made $95 mill from selling his internet company = winner
Gets more quality women most of us combined = player
Old 02-19-2007, 11:21 PM

Wasn't Gordon the last or second to the last choice in the PPL's draft? I don't think his play is all that respected among his peers.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 PM

Gordon is a good guy and he really does not play that much. He also has a healthy understanding of how silly most TV poker is, and his sense of humor shines through in most of his commentary. I could see how this can rub you the wrong way, but the slightly mocking tone in his comments makes a ton of sense to me.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:53 PM

He's part of the lawsuit against the WPT, so obviously he doesn't play in WPT tournaments. He cashed in 4 WSOP events last year. Other than WSOP and Full Tilt events, I don't think he plays much any more. I wouldn't either in his shoes.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:57 PM

Seems to be a mortal sin to think before calling a bet these days. It never hurts not to rush into things when making a decision for a good sum of money.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:30 AM

I don't think that Phil Gordon really thinks of himself as an elite player, but I do think he has an egotistical belief that he can run over anyone who is not an elite player. This makes him trappable.

Also, keep in mind that he's not really a pro in the sense of making a living off the game. He seems more interested in gaining the ESPN commentating job than actually playing in the WSOP.