Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: What golf set to buy? (for a beginner?)

Aldila and True temper make low cost shafts for the budget end of the market as well as the higher end stuff. They usually get branded by the company behind the set but some where on the shaft in smaller letters will be its manufactures.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:12 PM

Just get the Wilson's. The difference in quality of clubs (or of your play) around that price range, for a beginner, won't be noticeable. They're a respectable brand and the set looks pretty neat.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Standard advice: get a good pro to give you a lesson, and ask him to recommend some clubs.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard advice: get a good pro to give you a lesson, and ask him to recommend some clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]
but you know they're gonna recommend something im not willing to pay for.

I can probably get one of my friends to give me a bag for free, so i could buy used clubs from ebay like some of you recommend. My only problem is that I don't know the different versions of the certain brands so I wouldn't know how to shop for a good set that would be good for me. I don't want to buy callaway just because they're one of the best but then i get them delivered and i find them hard to hit. My main concern is buying clubs that are for my skill level and are easy to hit.

If I buy one of the new cheap sets they would be good since I only play like 3-4 holes a week and go to the driving range once a week. But then the fear of cheap clubs breaking, or having to replace them in a year or so. Im the type of guy that doesn't like replacing stuff, things I buy I keep for a long time. With used clubs from big brands those would last me years.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:56 PM

i would go with the wilsons. Don't know too much about dunlop and golf.

Also, if there are 2 sets of beginner wilsons, as long as they aren't really small, i would recommend going for the one with the smaller head. my dad got a real nice expensive set of callaway clubs with really oversized heads, expensive graphite shafts, etc- and we both thought they were horrible clubs. Hard to play in bad lies, and no real feel for the ball. Oversize is good for woods, but not really for irons.

stealthcow-
Old 02-11-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he wants to keep near his original budget $200, a pro is not going to have anything near that price range unless he has something like the box set they have at Wal Mart(I used to carry those in my shop when I was at Birch and they were ok, but didnt have any name brand anyone recognized) BTW, any low end Wilson/Dunlop/etc is going to have the sale or poorer quality, make you you DO NOT get any dye-cast heads
Old 02-11-2007, 02:52 PM

To start, I would probably also go with the Wilsons. Use them for awhile and you'll find out if you like playing, then if you want to play more and get better, you can think about buying a better set.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:57 PM

It's been said, but buy a used set of good clubs and get them regripped. He can get a $600 set for about $200. Get cavity backed oversive heads.

As far as woods go try a knock off set of woods 1, 3 and 5 until you improve, then look for a brand name.

Take a buddy who knows (really knows) golf equipment.