Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 07:20 PM

Default What golf set to buy? (for a beginner?)

Im a beginner golfer, im looking for a decent set of inexpensive clubs for a beginner, oversized heads so they're easy to hit, less than $200 and that won't break with 30 strokes. Ive been doing a lot of reading and I have found the following and would like those that know about golf to tell me which one is the best buy. If you know an even better deal post it here.
Dunlop Mens Vision: $170
Wilson set: $169 (better brand than dunlop?)
cougar: only $90!
big 5 sporting goods has a dunlop reaction for $150 (would save me the waiting time of ordering from the net
Basically a decent set of inexpensive clubs that will last me a long time and are easy to hit for a beginner.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: What golf set to buy? (for a beginner?)

Get some decent used clubs. They'll be better than a new set, if your price range is <$200. Any major manufacturer is fine, get whatever looks/feels good to you.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:07 PM

Check this site out http://rockbottomgolf.com/irons-ironsets.html

I bought some Nike CPR irons from them 1.5 years ago or so for 150. They're really easy to hit and they've held up well even though I've played probably 100 rounds since I got them.

The only problem is this leaves you without extra wedges and woods. You can find pretty good deals on drivers/woods on Ebay though.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:09 PM

For as little as you want to get into, you should look at used, but make sure you know what your getting, you also may want to try Costco/Sams Club they usually have pretty good set of everything for about $250
Old 02-10-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For as little as you want to get into, you should look at used, but make sure you know what your getting,

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not an expert which is why im asking you guys! im just tired of playing with borrowed clubs and would like to have my own set. Im not looking to spend much since im only a beginner and im looking for clubs that are easy to hit.
[ QUOTE ]
Check this site out http://rockbottomgolf.com/irons-ironsets.html

I bought some Nike CPR irons from them 1.5 years ago or so for 150. They're really easy to hit and they've held up well even though I've played probably 100 rounds since I got them.

The only problem is this leaves you without extra wedges and woods. You can find pretty good deals on drivers/woods on Ebay though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I found this set from that site which seems decent but I can't see any stands on the bag.
http://rockbottomgolf.com/04wilairpwrmrh.html
Old 02-10-2007, 08:22 PM

The words cheap and golf don't mix. If you want any type of decent set of clubs you're not going to be able to get it for anywhere near $200. I'll see what I can find in the way of used clubs for you.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:27 PM

After a quick search on ebay I'd suggest something like the callaway x16's. It looks like 3-pw are going for about $250ish which is a pretty good deal. Make sure that if you get these you are not buying the "pro" version. Those will be too difficult for you to hit.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:34 PM

I can't explain why, but cheap golf clubs are lousy. Maybe its in my head and I'm delusional, but I'd much rather have a used set of good clubs than a new bargain set. That being said, the very most important thing in a golf club is that you like the way it feels, looks, etc., and the only way to find that out is by trying out the club before you buy it. I would go to a local golf shop, hit all the irons in the store until you find a set you really like, then find it, or something similar on ebay or craigslist. Also, I can't stress the importance of getting clubs with an appropriate shaft. Go to a golf shop and tell them you need to know what shaft you should be using. You'll hit a couple balls for someone to watch you and they'll be able to figure it out pretty easily. The wrong shaft can easily ruin a set of clubs for you and I think is more important than the clubheads actually.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:41 PM

You get what you pay for to some extent but if your only going to play a few times a year and your not concerned with keeping score or competing then a complete set should do just fine. They tend to fall down on the woods but for the money what do you expect? The two things id make sure of are that the heads are stainless steel not steel alloy and that the shafts are made by a company I know like True temper or Aldila.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You get what you pay for to some extent but if your only going to play a few times a year and your not concerned with keeping score or competing then a complete set should do just fine. They tend to fall down on the woods but for the money what do you expect? The two things id make sure of are that the heads are stainless steel not steel alloy and that the shafts are made by a company I know like True temper or Aldila.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're buying a cheap full set from someone like wilson you're odviously not going to get any nice type of shaft like aldila. My aldila nv shaft alone for my driver was around $90ish. But like AJW said, if you're just going to be playing a few time just for fun and not trying to work on your game and improve it then it's not that big a deal if you get a [censored] Wilson full set.