Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Got check-raised on a ragged board heads-up.

someone get the jelly out, there is going to be a fight.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Um I've read about half the responses and I hear [censored] about QQ and AA? wtf? Dude called preflop. Easy turn 3-bet. Call down once he caps.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:36 PM

I think at this point (after the turn) the pot's too big to fold. I'd call down.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AA could easily be in his range threads. I used to play AA like this all the time OOP vs a pf 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, it could be, but most of the time AA is going to cap here. So, discount it... heavily.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, 4 folds, MP2 calls.

<font color="green">MP2 is a 16/9/2.5 TAG, but I put his range a bit wider than average from a steal position. </font>

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 2 players)
MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

<font color="green">A nice, safe-looking flop for my overpair. It's tough to hit a board like this. </font>

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4.75BB, 2 players)
MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises</font>...

<font color="green">Hero ____?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever seen the villian get out of line? I have seen this line from 88, TT, and JJ as well, vilian thinking that you are on a wiffed AK, AJs, ATs. I dont think I fold this, but I certainly don't raise the turn. If he checks the river I bet a non-scare card.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:14 AM

Villain could have AQ, KQ or may have picked up a FD with something like A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and put you on UI AK. It depends on his read. If you have been C-betting your UI cards a lot, he may try to pull of something like this. He figures you, as a tight reraiser probally don't have, AQ so the Q, combined with the possible slowplayed nine, could be scary for AK.

I wouldn't reraise at this spot though. If villain reraises he must surely have something better then AQ, because he didn't put you on AQ in the first place and he knows you probally wouldn't reraise with something lesser then a pair of queens.

I want to see SD so I just call down, avoiding a difficult decission when reraised.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:46 AM

Thanks for all your responses. I felt that this would be a good hand for trying to figure out what is going on in my opponent's head, and I've gained a lot of insight. Thanks everyone for their input!

What I really failed to do in this hand was put my opponent on any type of hand at all, as is sometimes the case with big overpairs.

I think the best line after the check-raise is to simply call down. The check-call/check-raise line against a pre-flop 3-bettor is pretty indicative of a strong hand, particularly on a paired board. I only have to be ahead here 25% of the time or so, and I think this opponent is just funky enough to try this play occasionally with a hand like JJ or TT.

Unfortunately, villian had A9o.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 AM

"MP2 is a 16/9/2.5 TAG"

A9o is a pretty funky hand then given his stats.