Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Costa Rica Recommendations

Stay at the Tabacon Hot Springs in Monteverde Cloud Forest

YOU MUST DO THE ZIP LINE TOURS (zip line through the canopy of the rainforest)!

By far the coolest thing I did there.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stay at the Tabacon Hot Springs in Monteverde Cloud Forest

YOU MUST DO THE ZIP LINE TOURS (zip line through the canopy of the rainforest)!

By far the coolest thing I did there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tabacon is near Arenal, not Monteverde. I went there along with Monteverde a few years ago. But yea, I recommend Tabacon. It's like a river/series of pools that are all the perfect hot tub temperature. Really amazing. They also have a pool with a bar, a spa, restaurant, etc.

I did a zip line tour near Monteverde and it was awesome.

The last leg of the trip we went to a remote hotel on the Osa Peninsula in Corcovado National Park. We had to fly to a remote dirt airstrip, bus to a river, then take a boat for a few hours to the hotel. Fun stuff. The place we stayed is called Casa Corcovado.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:00 AM

Guard your shoes on the beach
Old 02-06-2007, 10:47 AM

Tamarindo is pretty sick, but I was dissapointed at how much it reminded me of Mexico, particularly Ixtapa.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Great recommedations. Thanks all.

It looks like we will have the following itinerary:

3 days in Arenal; 3 days in Monteverde; 2 days at either Paradisus Playa COnchal or the Four Seasons in Guanacaste; and 3 days in Punta Islita (based on jbrents's high recommendation).

We had originally planned to stay the first night in San Jose but I think we are going straight to Arenal after we land.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:38 PM

I'm actually going to be there myself for a super quick visit the first weekend in March. I have a subsidized ticket to travel from work that weekend so I'm going to hop down and try to hit the highlights.

Plan as of now is to get in early Fri morning (3/2) go straight to Arenal for the night. Sometime Sat head over to Monteverde via Jeep/Boat spend a night there and head back to San Jose for my flight late Sunday. Obviously I'm not doing CR justice but its basically a free flight so why not...

If we happen to be in one of those spots at the same time and you'd want to meet a random 2+2er let me know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We had originally planned to stay the first night in San Jose but I think we are going straight to Arenal after we land.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depending on your flight plan from the US, you might be kinda tired. And driving around in Costa Rica isn't exactly great. Hopefully you'll have a driver. Even so, it still won't be a ton of fun because of all of the traveling in one day. That being said, there isn't much at all to see or do in San Jose so get out as soon as possible.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great recommedations. Thanks all.

It looks like we will have the following itinerary:

3 days in Arenal; 3 days in Monteverde; 2 days at either Paradisus Playa COnchal or the Four Seasons in Guanacaste; and 3 days in Punta Islita(based on jbrents's high recommendation).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will be pleased you did this, don't forget the trip report. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The last leg of the trip we went to a remote hotel on the Osa Peninsula in Corcovado National Park. We had to fly to a remote dirt airstrip, bus to a river, then take a boat for a few hours to the hotel. Fun stuff. The place we stayed is called Casa Corcovado.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever people ask me for places to go in CR i always recommend Osa, imagine 50 miles of beach with maybe 100 people total on it, truly one of the few places in the world with the wilderness still intact. I rented a car from a guy in Alajuela that has 4 villas there and charges 25$ per person per night, i try to go down there for a week once every 2 months. It's too bad OP's trip is centered around the north as the southern part of CR is so much nicer and less touristy.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:30 PM

We may now spend our first night, Feb. 26, in San Jose, and then take in La Paz waterfalls on the way to Arenal the next morning.

For those of you who said you mightbe there, PM me if you are going to be in San Jose that night.