Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Lie About Degree on Resume?

in my career ive never been asked to verify until my recent job. They told me to bring my diploma in on my first day. Since I didnt have it with me I brought in a notarized letter from my college. weird but I guess some companies do verify this.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think you are qualified for the job lie on the online resume app. If you get an interview you must reveal the lie immediately and explain why you did it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-06-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would really suck to put in 10 years somewhere, get fired over this and lose the pension, stock options or whatever other benefits you had accrued.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that would really suck, wouldn't it? It would also be the first time, ever, that I've heard of something like that happening. I know you like to disagree with me but you're wrong in this case. Give it up.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tuq,

I don't know what companies you do business with, but I can promise you that nearly all respectable companies will do a background check and validate criminal history, employment history, and educational history.

Tuq, if you don't mind me asking (you can PM me this), who do you recruit for? I am genuinely quite surpirsed you seem so confident that there are plenty of good jobs out there that will not screen.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no point in naming specific names, but there are plenty of large companies that don't bother with this process. When you get to the level of Intel, AmEx, Motorola here in town then yeah, they all do. But there are plenty of mid-sized companies that don't bother with this. You're gonna have to take my word for it, I guess - trust me, I NEED to know up-front whether they do these things or not so I can bring it up on the front end with people to make sure it's not a "problem".

Funny thing, I did a contract for a recruiting firm that would, without the client's request, drug screen and background check all their future consultants. First and only time I've ever heard of a recruiting firm volunteering that. Not only does it cost money but it introduces potential disqualifiers into the mix that I don't agree with, most specifically P.O.T. We all know very responsible, successful people who spark up a fatty now and again.

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, OP does not lack a college degree. He has a 2 year AA degree in business.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just quoting this to point out that every degree-mandatory place I've seen has required a 4-year Bachelor's degree. I can't think of a time where an AA degree was specifically an acceptable level of education. All or nothing, in other words. As you have seen, the phrase usually goes something like "a 4-year college degree or equivalent professional experience".

To give you an example, recently a requirement came out at a large local company (they do the background screening/drug test thing but ONLY for their future employees; for on-site contractors this is not required). It was a high-end Network Engineer position. But again, a double standard: their FTEs must have a four-year degree whereas contractors don't have to have any schooling - and understand in a lot of cases these people will be working side-by-side and the contracts run for years. Anyway, it was really frustrating because the degree thing ruled out some 80% of the people I felt were qualified, and we couldn't sell around it.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of one example where I know somebody who accepted a position and did not have to go through the process of a background/drug screen.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have someone who starts next Monday who didn't have to piss in a jar.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of one example where I know somebody who accepted a position and did not have to go through the process of a background/drug screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was hired out of college for a position in Finance I was never drug tested, and I doubt they did a background screen (or they might have found interesting tidbits about my record which may have disqualified me). This was just over a year ago, and I do work for a relatively large company.

So you now have one example.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:14 PM

I did hiring for a major software company and we never checked anyone's degree ever. In fact the only time we even cared about degrees was hiring someone straight out of school, in which case we'd get references from professors.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was hired out of college for a position in Finance I was never drug tested, and I doubt they did a background screen (or they might have found interesting tidbits about my record which may have disqualified me). This was just over a year ago, and I do work for a relatively large company.

So you now have one example.

[/ QUOTE ]

chalk it up for me, big consulting firm. holla
Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 PM

One thing you could consider is selecting Bachelor's degree on the monster profile for your BA Degree. But in your resume Have it state you have a BA. This would let it get through any filter and yet you would not be lying on any application or resume.

By the time it gets to the hiring manager he will just see the resume, and i doubt the monster profile will ever be checked. If for some reason it is noticed you could easily chalk it up to a mistake or computer error.

I'm not sure how monster works, but if it is one of the sites where your resume is generated by your profile this would not work.

I would just try to use the system as much as possible to get your true resume on someone's desk, with out blatenly abusing the system. kind of angle shoot, but whatever.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing you could consider is selecting Bachelor's degree on the monster profile for your BA Degree

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good idea. Although I run the risk of looking like an idiot for making a mistake, it's believable enough to work.

My actual resume still states Associates, but my profile will now be listed as having the experience of a Bachelors degree.

Egg-sellent! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would really suck to put in 10 years somewhere, get fired over this and lose the pension, stock options or whatever other benefits you had accrued.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that would really suck, wouldn't it? It would also be the first time, ever, that I've heard of something like that happening. I know you like to disagree with me but you're wrong in this case. Give it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you might be interested in this:

[ QUOTE ]
... Sometimes, bogus resumes become fodder for headlines.

In 2001, George O'Leary lasted only five days as head coach of Notre Dame's football team after revelations that his claims of earning a master's degree from New York University and a letter playing football at the University of New Hampshire were proved false.

In March, Elliot Pellman, team doctor for the New York Jets, New York Islanders and medical adviser to Major League Baseball, found his name on the front page of The New York Times. Pellman, who testified before a congressional committee on steroid use in the big leagues, claimed in a resume circulated by the Jets that he received a medical degree from the Stony Brook University.

In reality, Pellman attended medical school in Guadalajara, Mexico, and received an M.D. from the New York State Education Department after a one-year clinical residency at Stony Brook. Pellman also identified himself as an associate clinical professor at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, when, in fact, he is a lower-ranking assistant clinical professor.

In 2002, after four months as California's first poet laureate, Quincy Troupe resigned after admitting that he never got his degree from Grambling College as he claimed....

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...5/ai_n13612467

scrub