Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: TPWK in BB - how do I handle this flop?

Thanks this makes a lot of sense especially with the super fish in the middle.

So now I'm going to ask a follow up. There are two related situations I am curious about.

1) The button isn't a superfish. It probably isn't realistic to make him a solid TAG since he cold called pf and it would be rare to see a solid player do that. But lets make him at least decent enough he isn't going to call down any garbage like the villian in this hand.

2) The board is a little more draw heavy so protecting might be more important. Say make the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. (I'm assuming the more decent button in this case too)

I'm trying to move this more to a senario where I don't want to encourage BT to call along. The reasoning for c/r'ing don't seem as attractive here, but I'm still not sure donking is best.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:44 PM

I still check-raise, when button just calls the flop u usually have him beat so getting more money out of him with hands hes making a mistake with is great and hands that arent (JT or a fd) ur not gonna make fold anyways no matter how u play it. If button just calls then 3bets the flop or raises the turn after a bet and a call u have an easy fold (or call and fold the turn UI). This is probably true if UTG raises later as well both are opponent dependent though of course.

I really only donk out given a few factors

id prefer to do it in a 4way+ pot when the pfr is last or next to last to act (multiway pots people are less likely to cb) or i have a hand i dont want to knock people out with ie. I have a hand id rather bet 3bet with than ck-raise and shut everyone else out with.

or in a 3way pot with a raiser and a cold caller like in ur example id more often do it if the pfr was the type where auto CBing isnt a part of his general strategy but making light calls is and I know i can respond to his raise appropriately. People are much more honest vs check-raises (particularly in protected pots) than donks to begin with. Even then though I think when the pfr checks a lot u still make more money IMO by check-raising than by donking since the button will bet very often with many worse hands some he may not call bets with.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:13 PM

I'd c/r to trap the button. You should not care much about protection, you should care more about getting paid here.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:04 PM

Echoing what some others have already said, I always c/r the flop here and lead the turn. If I get 3 bet on the flop I'll call and reevaluate on the turn.