Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Help me gain 10-15 lbs of muscle by July.

OP sounds like he desperately needs to read a fitness book in any case, and probably won't stick to a regimen no matter what it is.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously=not really possible unless you're on cycle or using gh, igf, or insulin

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong, op should be able to do both at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? because he's so fat? i'm around 15% right now since i'm bulking like i do every winter but if i decided to run a caloric deficit of say 500 calories a day and kept busting my ass in the gym i guarantee you i wouldn't gain any muscle, but would merely maintain a good amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I dunno, I think your underestimating it. Even when I cut now, after lifting for a bunch of years now, I strive, and usually succeed at gaining strength while cutting, if you dont gain at least strength (Im not saying muscle), then you probably arent doing something right when you cut. BUT everyone is different, so who knows.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if that is true for a beginner, for someoen who has lifted for awhile I agree 100%, but for someone who has a higher body fat percentage, and isnt really all tht strong, I really tend to think that the most efficient thing for him to do is eat at a cal deficit, losing fat, and gaining muscle. Since he has a high bf %, his body isnt going to utilize the food you eat as efficiently as if he was at 6%, so for a newb, I think its a little different. I would almost wager that if he eats at 500 above his maintence cals, he would gain the same amount of muscle and strength than if he ate below his cal requirements, because of the fact that when he is eating a lot, with high bf% his body is going to store more fat than if he had low bf.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right for a beginner, but if the main goal is gain muscle I still wouldn't advise a caloric deficit. Especially since his gaining goal is pretty extreme (10-15 lbs is a lot in 6 months unless he's just really gifted).

If his #1 goal was to improve his body composition, I would definitely advise a caloric deficit for a beginner, and fully expect that he would gain some muscle and lose some fat at the same time.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pullups (weighted)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha. What % of the average guy getting into the gym can do more than 2 or 3 pullups with just his bodyweight?

There are very few people in any gym who can do pullups using good form for any number of reps with no weight added.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:06 PM

No sense in starting another thread, but I have some similar goals. I am 6' and 140 and have been looking to put on some bulk. I'd like to get up to 150-155, but don't really have a set time I want to be there by like OP.

I've been lifting pretty regularly since August, before then I was probably 132-135. Everyone seems to think this is unhealthy and while I agree I am pretty freakishly thin I have always been very active and did alot of distance running. I normally lift about 4 times a week, doing mostly isolation stuff. Bench, dumbell presses, flies, shoulder presses, shrugs, bicep curls, skull crushers, tricep extensions, rows, pullups, etc. From the advice I got in another thread I have just recently started doing some squats, though I haven't yet thrown in deadlifts.

I currently can bench 150-155 about 5 times when I'm by myself, but have been at that level for a few weeks now. I can't seem to add weight here or in bicep curl even though I'm usually adding weight each week in other areas.

I've been taken protein for a few weeks now, and also recently got NOx2. I know several posters here said it was a waste and I probably won't get it again, but the intensity of my workouts has definitely gotten better since taking it. I don't really feel worked while lifting like I used. Anything else anyone can recommend me adding with the protein, creatine maybe? Also, any other workouts I should try that I haven't mentioned?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pullups (weighted)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha. What % of the average guy getting into the gym can do more than 2 or 3 pullups with just his bodyweight?

There are very few people in any gym who can do pullups using good form for any number of reps with no weight added.

[/ QUOTE ]

???? Youve never met a beanpole? those guys can bust out tons of pullups. i couldnt when I first started, but now I can do them with a plate attatched to me. A great way to develop your muscles to be able to do them:

get a pullup bar, a stool, high enough that you can start at the top of the motion fo a pullup, start at teh top end, and slowly lower yourself down. get back up on the stool repeat.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pullups (weighted)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the persons weight, I could easily do 10 before I was lifting. I regualarly start with 15-20 when working back and then sets of 10 and 8 or so
Old 01-31-2007, 09:24 PM

if you're willing to spend the money, start taking nitric oxide
Old 01-31-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're willing to spend the money needlessly, and you are a moran, start taking nitric oxide

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 01-31-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pullups (weighted)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you would start without weight or with an assist from a partner or an assisted pullup machine at the gym. But the key is that the goal is to eventually add weight, not do 20+ pullups.