Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: GPITW Day 21-22

[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting that your sausage guy imparted his "wisdom" to a 15-year-old boy as he played golf by himself every week. That's not most people's idea of success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. This infuriates me. Why the [censored] do you think this isn't most people's idea of success?

Is it the fact that he was an incredibly successful businessman, founding his own company and working his way into the most elite club in Milwaukee?

Is it the fact that he kept himself in good enough health to walk 9 holes every week at the age of 80?

Is it the family life he had, of which I have told you nothing about? (He was, by all counts I have heard, a great husband and father)

Is it just because he golfed by himself. Does that make him a non-success? You don't think there were good reasons why he might golf by himself?

Or is it that he befriended a reasonably smart kid who looked up to him, asked him questions, and tried to learn life lessons from him?

Very, very [censored] weak, dude. It's personally insulting to me that you think our weekly round of golf was some sort of discredit to him.

And one more thing

[ QUOTE ]
Many people measure their success ... by what they achieve in their relationships with others.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also a lot of people who think that going through life caring about what others think of you is a terrible way to live.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:16 PM

"Many people measure their success ... by what they achieve in their relationships with others."

"There's also a lot of people who think that going through life caring about what others think of you is a terrible way to live."

I'm not sure these two statements have much to do with each other.

I care what my friends/the people with whom I have meaningful relationships think about me.

I try very hard not to care what people I don't know and that don't affect me think of me.

Generally if you're not an [censored], and you handle your business right, the people that know you will have the correct impression of you, and who cares about the people that will jump to conclusions based on not enough information.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:31 PM

You're taking a lot of liscense here.

[ QUOTE ]
"Many people measure their success ... by what they achieve in their relationships with others."

"There's also a lot of people who think that going through life caring about what others think of you is a terrible way to live."

I care what my friends/the people with whom I have meaningful relationships think about me.

I try very hard not to care what people I don't know and that don't affect me think of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, you've assumed that the top statement has to do exclusively with friends/family/associates and that the second statement has to do solely with people one doesn't know, even though we both explicitly used the term "others." That's not very fair to me. I think everyone will agree with your last statement, but that doesn't have much bearing on what odell said.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting that your sausage guy imparted his "wisdom" to a 15-year-old boy as he played golf by himself every week. That's not most people's idea of success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. This infuriates me. Why the [censored] do you think this isn't most people's idea of success?

Is it the fact that he was an incredibly successful businessman, founding his own company and working his way into the most elite club in Milwaukee?

Is it the fact that he kept himself in good enough health to walk 9 holes every week at the age of 80?

Is it the family life he had, of which I have told you nothing about? (He was, by all counts I have heard, a great husband and father)

Is it just because he golfed by himself. Does that make him a non-success? You don't think there were good reasons why he might golf by himself?

Or is it that he befriended a reasonably smart kid who looked up to him, asked him questions, and tried to learn life lessons from him?

Very, very [censored] weak, dude. It's personally insulting to me that you think our weekly round of golf was some sort of discredit to him.

And one more thing

[ QUOTE ]
Many people measure their success ... by what they achieve in their relationships with others.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also a lot of people who think that going through life caring about what others think of you is a terrible way to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reason to get infuriated. I enjoy your posts and am trying to discuss them with you. You specifically solicited feedback after not getting a lot of responses to your initial GPITW posts.

I don't think the guy's golf with you was "some sort of discredit to him." And this comment by me - - "Many people measure their success not by what they achieve only for themselves, but what they achieve in their relationships with others" - - has nothing to do with a desire to live life based on only caring what others think of you.

You mischaracterized my comment by leaving out the middle part of the quote - "not by what they achieve only for themselves". We don't exist in a vacuum. We don't live our lives in a vacuum. Although each of us certainly strive to meet personal goals and accomplish things that give us a feeling and sense of personal success, most people enjoy being around other people. Most people value relationships with other people. And most people see the building and maintenance of strong relationships with others as "success."
Old 02-02-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're taking a lot of liscense here.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, you've assumed that the top statement has to do exclusively with friends/family/associates and that the second statement has to do solely with people one doesn't know, even though we both explicitly used the term "others." That's not very fair to me. I think everyone will agree with your last statement, but that doesn't have much bearing on what odell said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid point.

FWIW I agree with you, and was trying to make that point with my post, but that got hung up with my misread/bad assumption.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 AM

A recent post in this forum made me realise how [censored] it was, so i am bumping some of these posts to hopefully improve it. Hope nobody minds.