Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: 40/80 AQs hand

I don't think you need to worry about someone folding an Ace.

If I checked the turn I would force myself to raise the river, but I very much prefer just betting both turn and river.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:18 PM

Preflop is perfect, isolate the aggressive player with what is likely the best hand. I have no idea why you didn't be the turn, you have a huge hand and plenty to value bet the river, UI. I wish you were out here we could trade lessons, LHE for Stud! Maybe sometime, I'd just like to pick your brain for an hour someday.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:40 PM

in addition to being a value bet, it looks less like a diamond draw if you bet the turn. if you hit your nut flush and he hits a card that improves him to a better hand than what he perceives your most likely holdings to be you may solicit a bit more action. to him, checking the turn often looks like a diamond draw.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 AM

If he's a bit laggy and on tilt, I wouldn't worry about him folding an ace at any time. Hell, sometimes you could show them your hand and they'd still call. And I wouldn't worry about him having A-K. Besides you've got outs even if he does.

Against some players, it sometimes might make sense to check behind to induce action from them on the river. But when you check the turn, and now a dimaond comes on the river, you might lose all your action. I prefer to bet against a laggy tilter.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:55 AM

I don't disagree with your 3-bet preflop, but I might just call here. Big suited broadway cards play well multiway. I play a lot of low limit as well, so I like multiway loose action, but its not wrong to try to get heads up, which I will also attempt often. But when you hit a flop like this, the extra dead money adds up quick. I would usually push this flop hard, but sometimes I'd let opponents in to pay off my flush. Call/raise turn is also ok.

Always bet the turn. You are ahead most of the time and have lots of outs the times you are behind. He's calling any ace and probably the large pocket pairs (from tilting).
Old 01-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Results

Thanks for the advise, next time I'll bet the turn! The river was the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The UTG bet into me, and I raised, he cursed, thought for a second, and then folded. At first I thought that he might have folded AK...but upon further thinking, I bet he had something like tens-queens. What do you think he had?

-Carlos
Old 01-31-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Results

Hi Carlos.I used to read your comments in the stud section,& because of that,I suspect that you play better than most of us even in holdem,just from general poker ability,certainly better than me.With that said,these are my thoughts.

P/F:If utg were a tight player,AA,KK,QQ,&AK would be a pretty large part of his range,& smooth-calling would be a more credible play,even though most posters would probably recommend 3-betting anyway.As it is, I believe that 3-betting is much better to try to isolate the tilting lag.

Flop:Another option would be to just call,planning to pop him whan he leads the turn,but I like your play better because he will likely 4-bet you with AK or better & warn you to slow down.

Turn:As it is,there is an excellant chance that your hand is best & I would keep on pounding him.If he check-raises,I would call him down regerdless.

River:If he checks,keep on firing.If he bets,I would just call,but I'm somewhat of a wimp,& the raise may be better.

Good luck to you.Ben.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Results

A-x.