Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Default 40/80 AQs hand

Hi All,

I am a stud player who has recently started playing some limit holdem. This hand took place in a 40/80 game at the Borgata while I was waiting for a 75/150 stud game to start. Hopefully I didn't screw it up too much:-)

The table has about 4 strong players two really loose players, and the rest are medicore. My image is tight and aggressive, and I haven't been caught bluffing. The pots are generally 3-5 handed, with people cold calling two bets preflop frequently. I am second to act, and one of the very loose players is in the big blind (the other is in the cutoff).

The UTG player is a bit laggy, and somewhat on tilt. I saw him open raise in early poistion with both 77 and 88 before. He open raises and I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I 3 bet, and all fold, the big blind and UTG call.

The flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Both opponents check, I bet, the big blind folds, UTG raises, I 3 bet and the UTG quickly calls. The turn is a blank (offsuit 9 maybe), the UTG checks and I check.

My questions are, given my description of the table, would it have been better to cold call the UTG's raise, to get more players in with my big suited ace? Should I have bet the turn? Other than a dimond on the river, what do I do if the opponent bets or check to me?

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: 40/80 AQs hand

preflop good
flop good
bet turn
bet river...spend utg's monies....
Old 01-30-2007, 02:59 PM

Bet the turn, it gives you more options on the river. Your hand is still huge.

Just like a big pair in stud, big cards in hold'em like to be heads up. Your 3-bet pre-flop was good.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop good
flop good
bet turn
bet river

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-30-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn, it gives you more options on the river. Your hand is still huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

What river options does betting the turn give me? If I get check raised on the turn, am I still calling the river on a non-diamond, non queen?

Also, how does my line change (if at all) is the UTG is not tilting?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:27 PM

"would it have been better to cold call the UTG's raise, to get more players in with my big suited ace?"

I would have 3-bet as you did. Why share him with the others, especially when they would have position on you?

"Should I have bet the turn?"

I would have. His most likely hand is a weaker ace than yours. If he now has aces up, that's the way it goes, you're still drawing to a better two pair and the nut flush.

"Other than a diamond on the river, what do I do if the opponent bets or check to me?"

I would call if he bets, raise if I catch a queen or ace, and bet if he checks to me no matter what the river. Once you've checked the turn, many opponents will bet the river with just about anything. Still, I wouldn't raise without improvement.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:28 PM

It gives you the option of checking or betting when a blank comes off depending on your read. Also, it gains you 2 bets if you hit your flush (likely anyway). In that sense, compare it to raises on 6th street in stud with a pair/big draw combo.

I agree with the other psoters that you should bet when checked ot on the river. AQ is huge on this board. What are you scared of?

I don't like getting check-raised on the turn because it looks like AK, but given that he is tilting, I probably pay off.

If he is not tilting you have to re-evaluate his hand range and proceed from there. You should still 3 bet AQss against most players.

Also, post more stud hands.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 PM

Well played, Andy.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:45 PM

Preflop is great. If you knew the flop you could cold-call but generally speaking you should plan for the worst hope for the best, 3-town a hand that can win u/i.

The turn is an easy bet. You're in a reasonably bad spot if he c/r's but you have outs. This isn't to say I'd fold ever. I'm betting the turn and if raised calling down u/i and raising when I make the nuts.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:16 PM

Okay, so it looks like I missed a bet on the turn. I figured that he would put me on AK (or AA) given my pre and post flop 3 bets and my tight image. Is there much validity to the thought that checking behind on the turn would induce a call on the river from a pocket pair or worse Ace that would have folded on the turn, while saving a little bit of money vs. an AK who is might be going for the check raise?