Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: $33s - QQ hits K88 flop, I call passively

Terrelk is right. if you bet and he have AQ for example he have big problems what he should do. There is a king at the table so its less chanse he have a king. If he have a king its easy for him to asume that you havent and then he bet . You now that so unless he is sick , you have to get out of the pot. This is what harrington , the world maybe best turnament pokerplayer says in a situation like this you should do. Always come out whit a bet when you have something. You will never find anywone else pro s saying different in that situation. Thats a very classicl well now proplem you are asking about. The only reson for you to check here is to trap him. You may asume you have the best hand.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's to keep him from robbing you blind with AQ, AJ, TT, or any other hand he missed with but would bet after you check to take the pot from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's [censored] reason why I'm check/CALLING damnit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that check/calling gives you no way to tell where you stand. When he bets out at you after you check, how are you going to know if he's bluffing or has the king?

Take a look at Harrington on Holdem, Volue III. One of the early examples (one of the first five) deals with a hand in a similar situation - raised with a PP and left dealing with an overcard (also a king incidentally) on board. His recommendation is the same as mine. Bet out.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's to keep him from robbing you blind with AQ, AJ, TT, or any other hand he missed with but would bet after you check to take the pot from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's [censored] reason why I'm check/CALLING damnit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that check/calling gives you no way to tell where you stand. When he bets out at you after you check, how are you going to know if he's bluffing or has the king?

Take a look at Harrington on Holdem, Volue III. One of the early examples (one of the first five) deals with a hand in a similar situation - raised with a PP and left dealing with an overcard (also a king incidentally) on board. His recommendation is the same as mine. Bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a sng, not a MTT, and you, and harrington, are wrong. If you bet he will play perfectly by folding anything that we beat and raising w/ anything that beats us. by check/calling vs a villain who is likely to bet out once we check thinking his A hi or lower pp is good, we get value out of his entire range. Also, Karp apparently needs some midol.

edit: also, "betting for information" is always a bad idea here. if we are betting it should be for value or because it folds out better hands than ours.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:15 AM

Why are you back to raising it to t300 PF? t250 please.

As for the hand as played. When did you decide to go the whole way with it? If you decided you were on your way with this hand immediately on the flop, I like your line a lot. If you weren't sure until after you checked, I don't like it so much.

Basically, if you don't know what your plan is before you check this flop, you need to bet/fold. Hoping to take it down right there.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Karp apparently needs to start smoking again.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you back to raising it to t300 PF? t250 please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because my BetPot script makes it t300 when i scroll the mouse wheel. I'm too lazy to type the t250 in manually. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
When did you decide to go the whole way with it? If you decided you were on your way with this hand immediately on the flop, I like your line a lot. If you weren't sure until after you checked, I don't like it so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I was going to play this the way I did when the flop came out.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:09 AM

if villian wasnt so donkalicious the best move is obviously 450/fold

as played this is amazing, and keep using PT
Old 01-30-2007, 05:23 AM

42/12 is not a maniac, it's a fairly passive calling station. He's raising close to the correct amount of hands, just calling all kinds of crap - including probably any hand with a K.

I bet the flop, if he calls I'm probably beat. Calling stations rarely lead or RR a flop like this w/o an 8 or K. 250 preflop makes this process easier. In other words, I'm not willing to go all the way here w/o a read that villian is a maniac or a serial bluffer. Therefore leading out to me is the best line.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Because my BetPot script makes it t300 when i scroll the mouse wheel. I'm too lazy to type the t250 in manually. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to fix it. The extra t100 in the pot on the flop is not good for you. DYSW?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:29 PM

Check-raise all-in on flop.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-raise all-in on flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain me why that is better than check/calling, please?

PS. aren't you the guy with kick-ass resume (real life) or am I mistaken?