Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Busting my Outback cherry

[ QUOTE ]
Do they not double fry them? I'm so confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Outback has potatoes. In the morning, prep cooks show up and do all the prep stuff including pushing whole potatoes through a slicer, which turns the potatoes into fries. The raw fries are put in the cooler. When the store opens, they are fried in small batches and served. Some will sit under a heat lamp for a bit, but they usually are pretty much fresh from the fryer.

Sorry, I guess you were confused about what I meant by prepping the fries.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 AM

OK, went to Outback and had dinner/late lunch there yesterday.

I ordered the Hickory Burger, and my friend ordered a bowl of Clam Chowder. We shared the Seared Ahi Tuna, Darling Point Crab Cakes, and Shrimp on the Barbie. My friend also had the Chocolate Thunder from Down Under. We decided against the Cheese Fries as it would be a bit too much food.

I noticed that daryn has a good point - the mugs did seem a little smaller than I remembered them, and I had 3 refills of my water with lime. There was a lot of ice in the mug, though.

The server did not attempt to sit with us, nor would he have really been able to, as we ran the seat block technology.

The Hickory Burger description on the menu there did not mention mayo, so I just ordered it. It came out with mayo on it, and I asked for a new top bun, which the server took care of pretty fast. He also apologized for it not being listed on the menu, and made a few comments about "corporate" screwing things up. Fair enough, no harm done.

I was not really impressed with the Seared Ahi Tuna, which was what I was most looking forward to. It wasn't bad, and perhaps I am unfairly comparing it to places that specialize in similar cuisine. I almost certainly was, initially. It was a little more on the cooked side than the seared, and it was sliced thin enough to remind me of carpaccio. I didn't mind that, but it wasn't what I expected. The wasabi "sauce" was decent, I did not try the ginger.

I should not have believed the hype about Outback burgers. I went in expecting something fantastic and was disappointed. The quality was fine, it was a good burger, and I enjoyed it. My expectation bar was just set a little too high, I think.

The Grilled Shrimp on the Barbie were excellent as usual.

I was not that impressed with the Darling Point Crab Cakes. They reminded me more of crab croquettes than crab cakes.

Overall, I enjoyed the experience and thought that it was a decent return on investment.

I have photos of the appetizers if interested. I think the only one worth looking at is the Seared Ahi Tuna, though.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:14 AM

yeah baby post the pics!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah baby post the pics!

[/ QUOTE ]

Darling Point Crab Cakes

Grilled Shrimp on the Barbie (two missing, yum!)

Seared Ahi Tuna

Thumbnailed to save on bandwidth and because I think the SAT shot might break the horizontal scrolling rule. You can click to make them bigger, and I also have hi-res versions available too if for some reason someone wants one.

Sorry I didn't get a shot of a glass mug in there, might have settled some debate.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Drew,

Morton's sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my previous post and apply it to Mortons which is terrible for the cost and good by free meal standards.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, there are a few other steakhouses that are better than Morton's. But at least at Morton's you know you'll be getting a) prime aged beef; b) properly seared to a crispy charred goodness on the outside while maintaining bloody rareness on the inside. How this can ever "suck" is beyond me.

And Morton's is no more expensive than any other top tier steakhouse, many of which serve a far inferior steak (e.g., Flemings). So your "for the cost" comment makes no sense.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:05 AM

ummm the fries arent cut during the night for orders......fries and baked potatos are prepared the day before, the fries sit in a sink full of water overnight, holla.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Drew,

Morton's sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my previous post and apply it to Mortons which is terrible for the cost and good by free meal standards.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, there are a few other steakhouses that are better than Morton's. But at least at Morton's you know you'll be getting a) prime aged beef; b) properly seared to a crispy charred goodness on the outside while maintaining bloody rareness on the inside. How this can ever "suck" is beyond me.

And Morton's is no more expensive than any other top tier steakhouse, many of which serve a far inferior steak (e.g., Flemings). So your "for the cost" comment makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I would never say that Morton's sucks, I do agree that for the cost, it is not worth it. I wouldn't say terrible, but it's definitely not worth what you are paying. If it's free, fantastic, tell me what time our reservation is for, and I'll see you there. If I'm spending my own money and it's gotta be steak, I'd rather go to another steakhouse for a better ROI. Ruth's Chris comes to mind, if we are sticking with "high end" chains.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ummm the fries arent cut during the night for orders......fries and baked potatos are prepared the day before, the fries sit in a sink full of water overnight, holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Outback I worked at would cut them day of and put them in large containers of water in the walk in cooler.

The baked potatoes were rolled in margarine and salt and did sit overnight.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:51 PM

The bread they bring as an appetizer and the potato soup (loaded!) are ridiculous amazing. My mouth is watering now, thanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:08 PM

Grunching:

1- Outback is a decent, not wallet busting place. It's not good, but it's not horrible.

2- Buca di Bepo sucks, avoid imo.