Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Busting my Outback cherry (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=41281)

suzzer99 02-19-2006 10:52 PM

Busting my Outback cherry

Ok, I told my friend I'd take her and her daughter anywhere she wants to go. So of course she tried the Red Lobster thing. But no, I had to veto. I worked there on and off for 5 years, the place makes me sick. She always orders like 2 lbs of crab legs and I have to sit and watch her pick them for an hour and a half after I'm done. No, only for birthdays or something horrible happened and you need to cheer up, that's it.

So anyway, choice two was Outback. I'm trying to talk them into Buca di Bepo, another cherry-buster, but I have a feeling I'm not going to get two vetos and Outback will be the choice. Some of you may remember my thread about restaurants you're proud to have never eaten in, and my choice as Outback. Well no more. I will follow up with a trip report on whether my proudness was founded all these years.

So what should I get?

molokoman 02-19-2006 10:57 PM

Re: Busting my Outback cherry

Appetizers: Blooming onion or the chees fries

Main Dish: All i've ever had was the Alice Springs Chicken, heres the description off of the website:
"Grilled chicken breast and bacon smothered in mushrooms, melted Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses, with honey mustard sauce. Served with Aussie chips"
I've heard the mad max burger is great too.

Pudge714 02-19-2006 10:58 PM

How about a steak?

daryn 02-19-2006 11:00 PM

bushman shrooms = fantastic

yasher 02-19-2006 11:01 PM

Bleh. I wouldn't describe anything from Outback as "great," or even, "good." You're looking for "okay," and I think that's about the best you're gonna do. I had $35 in gift cards there - good old dad really came through on my christmas present, as always - and I recently bought dinner for myself and a friend at work. I don't even recall what we had, but my medium rare steak was rare and her rare steak was medium - we did the whole curbside to go thing (probably a bad idea, but hell if I actually wanted to set foot inside that place) and I was really, really underwhelmed.

Bloomin' onion is actually half decent, if you like the sauce. Otherwise... I'd steer clear of the steaks, because in my limited experience, neither I tried was very good.

Buca di Bepo was a far better choice.

yasher

Clarkmeister 02-19-2006 11:02 PM

The lobster "crabcake" is actually quite good. The outbacker burger is tasty too. I only go there for lunch, so I don't know what to tell you for actual dinner fare.

edfurlong 02-19-2006 11:02 PM

I've never been but I think you should get a bloomin onion because I liked the commercial.

suzzer99 02-19-2006 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about a steak?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the steaks really really good? Because I only like steaks when they're excellent (buttery soft, rich aftertaste, hard to describe but you know it when you taste it) Otherwise I'd rather get something else. If you say they are really good, I'll try the filet I guess, or I like a good porterhouse.

mike l. 02-19-2006 11:04 PM

the steaks are pretty bad. the bacon cheeseburger is quite good though. so is the fried onion thing and the onion soup, as well as the potato soup. enjoy.

Pudge714 02-19-2006 11:08 PM

Maybe Outback's in Canada are different, however the one in Toronto has good to very good steak. 8/10. Also I have no idea what some of the items being suggested are.