Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Beat: Paying taxes

[ QUOTE ]
U.S. v. Long -- The Dead Sea Scroll of Tax Protestors

Tax protestors will ALWAYS mention the case of U.S. v. Lloyd Long as the "victory" which "proves" that income taxes don't have to be paid. The truth:

First -- Long lost his civil case and was still liable for his taxes. The case the protestors stupidly refer to is Long's criminal case for tax evasion, which he won on, essentially, the dubious theory that he was too dumb to understand that he had to pay taxes. But Long -- like so many others -- completely failed to prove that he wasn't liable for his taxes.

Second -- In every case since Long the tax protestors have lost. They have had NO victories since then, and can't point to any, (not that Long can really even be characterized as a victory since he lost his battle to prove he wasn't liable for taxes). So if the Long case is precedent for anything, which is doubtful, it sure isn't very good precedent because NO SUBSEQUENT COURT HAS RELIED ON THE LONG CASE FOR THE ABSURD PROPOSITION THAT THERE IS NO LIABILITY FOR TAXES.

NOTE: By like token, we often get hate e-mail from tax protestors who send us cases from around the turn of the century (i.e., before the 16th Amendment authorized the income tax) or from the 1930s and 1940s (i.e., before the modern IRS code). Apparently, they can't figure out that LAWS CHANGE. And they NEVER send us cases from this decade -- the reason being that every case from this decade (and the last, for that matter) has been a loser for tax protestors.

So, if someone mentions "U.S. v. Long" to you as justification why you should not pay your tax -- RUN!!! If Long is their basis, then they have no basis, period the end.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-27-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

cliff notes: scummy tax protesters that like jail make video

[/ QUOTE ]

So ignorant...

[/ QUOTE ]

totally

[/ QUOTE ]

Great now I have to read this whole damn website.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

cliff notes: scummy tax protesters that like jail make video

[/ QUOTE ]

So ignorant...

[/ QUOTE ]

totally

[/ QUOTE ]

Great now I have to read this whole damn website.

[/ QUOTE ]

the cliff notes cover it
Old 01-27-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tax invasion

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 01-27-2007, 12:49 AM

I am not anti-tax. I file my taxes every year. I am just saying it is an interesting video.

adanthar - I wouldn't just laugh at the vidoe after looking at that website. Does that site of a lot of credibility?
Old 01-27-2007, 01:07 AM

nothing wrong with not paying income tax. u pay taxes on everything else.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
adanthar - I wouldn't just laugh at the vidoe after looking at that website. Does that site of a lot of credibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

take a wild guess

I watched the video until they mentioned the evils of the federal reserve and how MAKING MONEY OUT OF THIN AIR IS HORRIBLE AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL

fun fact: dividing all of the gold in the US by the amount of people means that if you want to own over $500 in gold-backed currency, you'd better have friends, mister

and since I have no friends the federal reserve > tax protester
Old 01-27-2007, 01:27 AM

also since I want to head the april 15'th tax protester hordes off at the BBV pass, here are some more links

http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/04/...greenslade.htm (The 16th Amendment is not the Source of the Federal Income Tax)

http://www.fraudsandscams.com/sixteenth.htm (yes it was ratified, yes Ohio was a state, yes tax protesters are morons)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_protester (lol even wikipedia is good for this)

sorry for the words BBV, this is a preemptive strike for three months from now.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:54 AM

think they have poker in New Hampshire?

http://www.freestateproject.org/
Old 01-27-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

fun fact: dividing all of the gold in the US by the amount of people means that if you want to own over $500 in gold-backed currency, you'd better have friends, mister

and since I have no friends the federal reserve > tax protester

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say this is a fun fact, infact, its down right ignorance. I Assume you are trying to say that if you divide all the gold as it is currently worth (600+ a troy once) then yes, few would be able to accumulate "500" dollars worth of gold. But this is where our fun friend Mr. market comes into play. Currency can be backed by gold and still be abundant for a large population, gold would just be worth 10,000 per 1/20th gram for instance.