View Poll Results: My play
So good 35 53.03%
No good 13 19.70%
What a tedious subject 18 27.27%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Clarifying Some Things About \"Saura\"

Now let me get this straight.

The leading poker authority in the world and all around genius on anything mathematical, the man who would have won the Nobel Prize winner if he only put his mind to it; who is 50 something doesn't know she is a runaway and only 16 years of age.

His brilliant writing partner, business partner and other could be Nobel Prize winner doesn't suspect or say anything either, not even that this couple looks like a father and daughter combo.

To compound that I am taking their poker advice(not the 16 year olds advice, just the math guys poker advice) as the gospel to gamble large sums of money.

Can I get my book money back?

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2007, 04:26 PM

why are people so retarded with polls lately?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am banning myself - again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Just post on the Sklansky forum where there is limited censorship. It's the best forum by far anyway.

DY
Old 01-24-2007, 04:39 PM

wtf of course someone incredibly smart could mistake a 16 yr old for a 24 yr old.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:46 PM

For what its worth I believe David. There is a heavy burden though with being the elder. Whether David met that burden is the issue here. Imagine she had been 15 instead of 16?

I don't think it's my place to judge this, given that authorities, parents, etc have already weighed in.

I hope David realizes, that inspite of outward appearances, Saura may very well have been hurt by this experience (even though it appears to have been an overall positive experience).

DY
Old 01-24-2007, 04:56 PM

A lot of people who are claiming that because David is a genius that he should have figured out that Saura was 16 are just misguided.

There are different types of intelligence aside from book smarts. People who are "geniuses" have obvious book smarts, but aside from that tend to lack social intelligence. They are incredible mathematical and logical minds. But they cannot effectively read between the lines when socializing with others. David can estimate somebody's IQ based on talking to them because he is using his logical book smarts to evaluate the book smarts of other people. If David has limited social intelligence (which seems to be the case), then he does not have any basis to evaluate the age of a person just based on seeing them.

Should David have been more careful in this relationship? I believe so. I think it is somewhat odd to pick up somebody from a phone chat that is obviously way, way younger than you. If I was 50 and some teenager was going after me, I would have to question if I was doing the right thing or if I was taking advantage of somebody who had serious emotional or psychological problems.

David seemed not to take that into account because he never saw anything wrong in the first place. It's not as if he saw the situation and decided to take advantage of somebody who is not in the right state of mind. One could argue that ignorance is no excuse, but this isn't ignorance more than it is simply being overwhelmed at the moment. So, David isn't some sort of pervert for doing this.

It's honorable to come out with this relationship situation in the past. David could have easily hid it from everybody and had it sit in the back of his mind as a little secret hidden from most forum members out of fear of backlash. But if somebody can come clean about this and recognize any mistake or learn a lesson from a odd situation, then at least some progress is being made.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:40 PM

David,

"3. We lived together eight months and we were planning to stay together indefinitiely. At least I was. I was in the process of buying a 4500 square foot house for her, our cat, and our snake."

Two questions.

1) Why do you think you did not continue/re-establish this relationship with her?

2) You wrote "for her" there - were you planning to make that your primary residence, or were you implying a separate second residence for her to live in?

Speaking for myself, it is very hard for me to find women that I can really relate to and want to have long relationships with. I'm very picky in looks, intelligence, personality, well, pretty much everything. This leads to me dating a fair amount of women, but it's only about every few years that I find myself with someone I really could imagine myself with forever.

Given what you've written, I suspect you may have some of these challenges to an even greater degree than me. If that is true, I am surprised that you did not further pursue your relationship with Saura given what you've written.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 PM

The house was for both of us. The girls I like have to have an odd combination of traits, smart feisty, but the opposite of feminist and somewhat maleable.

As to pursuing a relationship with Saura, Once I found out she was 16, I wasn't going to pursue anything.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:04 PM

"I am banning myself - again."

Why? Are You OK?
Old 01-24-2007, 06:14 PM

DS,

"As to pursuing a relationship with Saura, Once I found out she was 16, I wasn't going to pursue anything."

Understood. However, I was thinking she might have had a special/unique enough combination of traits such that you'd be compelled to seek her out when she was 18. Or 20. Or whatever.

Many of us have relationships that don't work out due to timing or other circumstances, and occassionally we're so drawn to those girls that we jump if we later get a second chance to give it another shot in a better situation for the relationship.

I guess I'm a little surprised that Saura didn't fall into that category for you.