Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Beat: Mandatory Attendance

I had a history course way back in the day that was mandatory attendance. The attendance thing didn't bother me so much. Each class, at the end, the prof would assign a few chapters to read before the next class. That next class, all he did was read from the text that we were assigned the class before.

I can read from the text on my own. Why mandatory attendance when you're just going to spew the same crap I just read myself the night before?

That really pissed me off.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it a small class where the professor will take attendance himself? ...or will a sheet to be signed be passed around? I've had a few classes where a sheet is passed around and you have to sign or initial it. There are obvious ways to get around it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had a professor announce that forging a name on the attendence sheet will result in a zero for all attendence grades for both parties for the semester and both names turned in to the dean for cheating. You might want to think twice about your workaround if this is the policy in your class.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM

i hate small classes for the sole reason of their typical attendance policies, but this semester my 2 small classes (english 102 and spanish 311) have the same policy - 3 absences drops a letter grade, 7 absences fails the course
Old 01-17-2007, 08:48 PM

This is the one complaint that I have about my school. Except for the science classes most of the classes have at most 30 students, and every professor thinks that we need to be there everyday.

The worst thing though is participation points. Not only do you get points of if you do not go to class you get points of if you go to class and don't take parts in discussions. My English class 20% of the grade was participation, and it was an 8:00 class.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it a small class where the professor will take attendance himself? ...or will a sheet to be signed be passed around? I've had a few classes where a sheet is passed around and you have to sign or initial it. There are obvious ways to get around it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had a professor announce that forging a name on the attendence sheet will result in a zero for all attendence grades for both parties for the semester and both names turned in to the dean for cheating. You might want to think twice about your workaround if this is the policy in your class.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a class in a classroom not a lecture hall that had about 40 students in it and the prof just sent around an attendance sheet so he could save time.

My roommate who was in the class as well decided to skip out of town early one weekend and called me to ask me to sign the sheet for him. I told him I wouldn't because it was a small class and the professor would have a good chance of knowing that he wasn't in the class. Unfortunately, this caused a bit of a rift between us for a week or so which was not very pleasant, but doing this is definitely not worth the risk.

Turns out later in the year a different teacher accused me of cheating even though I was completely innocent. When I proved this to the dean and the teacher that I was not involved, I still had to take a final exam make up plus spent a lot of time photocopying my notes and doing other things to prove i was a good student and had no reason to cheat. The point is cheating is not worth the headache unless it's foolproof (like having a friend write a paper for you).
Old 01-17-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the one complaint that I have about my school. Except for the science classes most of the classes have at most 30 students, and every professor thinks that we need to be there everyday.

The worst thing though is participation points. Not only do you get points of if you do not go to class you get points of if you go to class and don't take parts in discussions. My English class 20% of the grade was participation, and it was an 8:00 class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking parts in discussions helps you learn the material. I think that's a little extreme, but I don't mind giving points for participation, as long as you don't let the douchebag who talks all the time monopolize it.

Sit in the front row one week (as opposed to the back row) and you'll be amazed how different it feels.

All this whining about having to actually learn things in college makes me wish I was born like 20 years earlier than I was when not everyone was entitled to go to college, or at least less so, and people wanted to be in college to learn.

To whoever is complaining about "college is more about going to class", duuuh, but you really have no reason to cry about going to class between 10-4. It's not like you're drinking then.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, actually trying to learn something from class, I pity you sooooo much.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't have any fun at college do you?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, actually trying to learn something from class, I pity you sooooo much.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't have any fun at college do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had lots of fun, believe me, my grades weren't even that good. But I'm one of those people trying to improve myself.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:17 AM

you can improve yourself without taking 9am classes that you don't really want to take or get too
Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 AM

i have about 20-30% class attendance but last semester i had one that was obligatory attendance with 5 or more = F.
I failed it because i thought it was 5 or under is ok but it ended up being 5 or more is a fail. SO pissed that i bothered to go but i have tons of credits and a B average so i didnt care.