Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Isn\'t this an obvious NL tell?

OP can't reraise because in the situation posited no one has raised yet. OP could raise CBets routinely. And GiantBuddha is correct -- it's a betting pattern, not a tell. Now that my usage nittery is out of the way....

It's dangerous to ascribe meanings to bets without knowing more about the individual. A Level 0 thinker will say, "I have a good hand! I should bet some money so I win a lot." A Level 1 thinker might say, "I should bet strongly so that he'll think I have something and fold." Micro-stakes will have a mix of Level 0 and crude Level 1 thinkers. But a good poker player will mix these up -- maybe tend toward the high side if he wants a fold, but not always. The 1/3 of the time he "mixes it up", you will be sorry if you're always raising.

However, check-raising with your good hands and occasionally with the higher range of what you would fold (e.g., draws with outs) is a good way to blunt the continuation bet. And betting into the PFR isn't bad either.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:26 AM

This is not a good idea, like all the others said... and if there is a player who makes pot sized c-bets all the time it wonīt help you a lot when you are deciding whether heīs got a hand or not. You donīt gain any information by your opponents making a pot sized c-bet! This is because you make this bet so that your opponents have to guess whether you got it or not.

I wanted to start a thread about c-bets again anyway because one question has been bothering me for quite a time now.

It has to do with TAG vs. LAG c-bets...

As a lag are your c-bets 3/4 - full pot size as well ? Because (iīm sure all of you know that) one of the most important skills of a LAG is to keep the pots small but this is exactly what you donīt achieve by making pot sized c-bets...
Please tell where my reasoning is wrong or if it isnīt what LAg are supposed to do here! Not c-bet at all? But I donīt think this is the correct solution...

thanks anyway in advance
cheers monkover
Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM

too bad it isn't always as easy as that, it might mean anything. If you find people will mostly raise premium hands preflop (so they don't raise preflop with other hands very often) and they place a continuation bet too often and it's on a flop that does not connect with most premium hands, i'd almost always call or raise, depending on my own hand. If I called the flop and he checked the turn I might feel he has given up and bet. But I need to know my opponent first, what could he have with a preflop raise? How big is the chance he has actually connected with the flop.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're life is going to suck until you realize that it often can also mean "I flopped two pair or better and am trying very hard to get all of my chips in the middle".

[/ QUOTE ]

It can't mean that very often. Two pair or better flops are rare stuff.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:17 PM

As others have said, good luck with that. If I have AQ and flop comes Q and two lower cards I could bet anywhere from the pot to half-pot. In these spots a re-raise likely would scare me less than a call, as I've found players who hit a set more often call here and try to trap. A re-raise to me would more likely signal someone with a weaker kicker, or possibly two pair--which of course would present a problem.
I do bet the same size when I miss the flop, especially if it's down to two players so yes a re-raise in this spot likely would get me to fold. Don't forget some of those folds after a re-raise may be players who did hit top pair but suspect you have an even better hand or just want to see more out of you before tangling for a lot of $$/chips.
Some ideas that might help you more with your re-raise ideas, the pot-size bettor may be more inclined to do so when he hit something and there is a flush/straight draw out there.