Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Dry board, folding AA on the turn

I dunno about the flop. Lots of people can protect their hand with a checkraise but it's pretty rare to find someone smart enough to donk so they can 3-bet or set-up a big turn play. And over and over I see weakish overpairs, like QQ on that board, donk to "see where they stand."
Old 01-13-2007, 04:59 PM

You said that the better is likes to checkraise when he has a hand. Now he doesn't have a hand and will now bet to take down the big pot. I can't see folding anywhere here. But slowplaying Aces is bad in every single form of high poker.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:17 PM

OK, let's get some thoughts out.

Let's start by saying I had gone back and forth about the flop play, but I've finally decided I screwed it up. My plan, initially, was to call the flop and then raise the turn, with a re-evaluation if it was 2 bets to me.

Why did I wait on the flop? I decided I wasn't sure what I would do if 3bet on the flop. I'm pretty LAGgy, and I don't think I can be certain that a flop 3-bet from the original bettor means I'm beat, and then . However, if I raise the turn, I can be certain I'm beat if I get 3bet. That was my reasoning at the time.

For the record, the turn fold was an automuck thanks to a physical tell. I think I 3bet without the tell, but I'm learning that very few of my decisions in spots like these are not predicated on tells.

Now that I've given the hand a little more thought, I've decided that while having 4 interested opponents on a dry board is good cause to proceed with caution, the best way to proceed with caution would be to raise the flop and start deciding. It's not that hard to construe a situation where I'll still have to call the turn if I raise it and get 3bet.

Anywho, in the actual hand, the original flop bettor had AJ, and the turn raiser turned a set of 2s. Luckily, I run good when it comes to he Sklansky bux/American $$ exchange.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:08 PM

Played perfect IMO. Post on my blog lazy bastard. Vegas for sure next weekend.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-13-2007, 08:28 PM

gonores, can you describe the tell that you used on the turn?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like the guy ate an oreo or something, I'm not completely sure this is the case, but often it's just the mannerisms of the raiser. When you play a lot live you start to pick up on these things and you can tell when someone's turn raise means a monster.

I may be wrong in this instance but that's what Doug usually means when he says he picked up a tell.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:20 AM

You have no reason to think you are beat on the flop, three bet it!
Old 01-15-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like the guy ate an oreo or something, I'm not completely sure this is the case, but often it's just the mannerisms of the raiser. When you play a lot live you start to pick up on these things and you can tell when someone's turn raise means a monster.

I may be wrong in this instance but that's what Doug usually means when he says he picked up a tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i understand it most likely it wasn't some blatant maneuver the guy did...but when i played mostly live this was one of my weak spots...was just lookign for some examples/insight...
Old 01-15-2007, 04:19 AM

I loved the way you orginally played the hand. I dont think you should be second guessing yourself.