Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: KK with limper

Betgo,
What does good player think of you? If he think you are a good, aggressive player he'll probably view your raise with suspicion. Hence you've gotta push all in because you would make that play with any hand, as a normal raise commits you to the pot. If he doens't really know how you play or who you are, a smaller raise might work since he'll think you're just some greenhorn making his 'standard raise.' I don't like any kind of raise besides all in over a limper here because there is already 1/6 of your stack in the pot and any more chips you put in will force you to stay in. If opponent was a weaker player I might make a smaller raise which would not arouse as much suspicion from that particular player.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:47 PM

i can't construct any number of variables where i wouldn't be insta-pushing in the given situation.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Easy Shove

sharp player. Appeared to be a pro. LAG.

Assuming he had a decent read on you, that limp there is either just a loose limp with some weak drawing hand or maybe low pps or A with a high kicker, or a trap hand hoping to get you to shove with something weak like A, medium kicker, kj etc...

A mini raise seems like you are begging for a raise. If he has crap, he's likely to fold on almost any raise.

As a LAG he will likely raise with most flops but you also give him a free card. Wouldn't limp there.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can't construct any number of variables where i wouldn't be insta-pushing in the given situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word
Old 01-11-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$1000 live MTT. Blinds 100/200 no ante. 4th position with 3500 limps. Limper is LAG and appears to be successful professional player. You are in hijack with KK and 2300. Players to act appear to have you covered. Would you push? If not, how much would you raise? Or would you limp behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the players that are acting behind you know the name betgo, and know that you are betgo, you should limp. Otherwise, push.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:02 PM

OK, I am betgo, so I limped behind. Reason was I didn't think LAG limper had a hand he would call a push with, and I hoped an additional limper would encourage someone to make a play for the pot. Thought the limp behind was a little suspicious, but a lot less suspicious than a small raise. It may not have been a good play, and flame away.

OK, so I limp, SB completes, and BB checks. Flop comes K43 with a 2-flush, checked to me in position. Check or bet? If bet, how much?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:12 PM

Check.

You need to continue your weak line here. You have 2100 behind and the pot is 800. I'd be concerned that a PSB would ellicit 3 folds as it is HIGHLY unlikely that anyone has the case K or any piece of that flop. Check and hope for an A on the turn. Your small stack almost requires you to take a higher variance line here. If you lose to a flush, so be it. Outside of that holding, you need someone to catch up enough to call your turn bet/push. You are likely up against 3 weak holdings that completely missed that flop.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check.

You need to continue your weak line here. You have 2100 behind and the pot is 800. I'd be concerned that a PSB would ellicit 3 folds as it is HIGHLY unlikely that anyone has the case K or any piece of that flop. Check and hope for an A on the turn. Your small stack almost requires you to take a higher variance line here. If you lose to a flush, so be it. Outside of that holding, you need someone to catch up enough to call your turn bet/push. You are likely up against 3 weak holdings that completely missed that flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I am betgo, so I limped behind. Reason was I didn't think LAG limper had a hand he would call a push with, and I hoped an additional limper would encourage someone to make a play for the pot. Thought the limp behind was a little suspicious, but a lot less suspicious than a small raise. It may not have been a good play, and flame away.

OK, so I limp, SB completes, and BB checks. Flop comes K43 with a 2-flush, checked to me in position. Check or bet? If bet, how much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many times I would bet 300 into this pot, to cover all the times I bet 300 with nothing. A pot bet to me would scream KQ or some such protecting his hand. I would be fine with a flush draw coming over the top, bc you have redraws if they hit and your stack needs to get healthy.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:36 PM

With no read, my usual line here would be to raise to 600. I do not like a push for the same reasons you mention.

Your limp is very interesting. However you say ''OK, I am betgo, so I limped behind''. IMHO I think this line has to be more about your read of vilain than yourself. If you take the I am weak approach is your read that vilain is going to try to push/bully you of the pot? If yes, your potential return on the risk of just limping are good and the limp behind is an excellent approach. If not, play it str8 foward and raise.

Cheers