Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 05:44 PM

Default KK with limper

$1000 live MTT. Blinds 100/200 no ante. 4th position with 3500 limps. Limper is LAG and appears to be successful professional player. You are in hijack with KK and 2300. Players to act appear to have you covered. Would you push? If not, how much would you raise? Or would you limp behind?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: KK with limper

I could certainly be wrong. But with an M <8 you want to get all your chips in here no question. So how?

All-in would be the "correct" steal move here as really any raise is pot commiting yourself.

I say push and hope for a call if not 2. You most likleyk really need the chips here depending on how close to the blinds and what the next level is. at 150/300 your M = 5. Thats not good.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:53 PM

I am taking a chance here and making a tiny raise that will be called by the limper. If you get outflopped it happens. Your stack is small and you need to maxamize your chance of doubling up.

I would make it like 600 and hope for a call by the limper.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:15 PM

No need to get cute with it, push. The move could look like a steal which could make a few hands call that you have crushed (AK, KQ). Plus players left to act won't be risking elimination with a call since they have you covered making it more likely they would call. You don't want to risk Ace rag calling a small raise and out-flopping you.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:17 PM

I think this depends on what level the limping LAG is thinking on and if he thinks you are a thinking player.

If he's a typical lummox, I like the raise to 600-800. If he's smart, he knows you "should" push if you're going to play there, so I would push and hope he calls with KQ or some such. Otherwise, he'll know you're on a big hand when you make the dinky raise.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:20 PM

My default play would be to move in. Limping behind with this stack size is just not good with the possibility of 2-3 limpers coming in behind. I could see raising to 800 and pushing any flop regardless of action.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:25 PM

As implied previously, limper is very strong LAG.

Next level is 100/200/25.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this depends on what level the limping LAG is thinking on and if he thinks you are a thinking player.

If he's a typical lummox, I like the raise to 600-800. If he's smart, he knows you "should" push if you're going to play there, so I would push and hope he calls with KQ or some such. Otherwise, he'll know you're on a big hand when you make the dinky raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put.. exactly what I was thinking... any thinking player will be on high alert with a small raise and your stack.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As implied previously, limper is very strong LAG.

Next level is 100/200/25.

[/ QUOTE ]

missed the successful pro part. In that event, I would push, unless he views you as a total donkey who might make a small raise with something like AJ or 66.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM

I don't think there's much difference between open pushing or raising to like 700 and pushing any flop. If I've been pushing a bunch then I just push. If I've been stealing from late position with raises then I just make my standard opening bet. Getting action here has a whole lot more to do with what cards the villains have then how you play your hand.

I don't think limping makes much sense here. If you were in ep ok, but not from the hijack.