Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Jesus was a Capricorn

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say someone wants you to prove, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that The Magnificent Seven was inspired by The Seven Samurai. The only information you have is that stored directly in the movies themselves and the knowledge that the writers, producers, and director of M7 were familiar with Kurosawa's work.

Imagine furthermore than an annoying person is jumping up and down in the corner saying "Oh! Oh! Both films were set on the planet Earth! Oh! They must be the same!" and seems to seriously believe that this will be sufficient to rebut your entire case.

Your move?

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither screenwriter was God, so your analogy fails.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:44 AM

Here is a good documentary on who wrote the bible. It is an hour and 43 minutes long but it is very interesting. A biblical historian travels to Israel as well as other places to figure out who wrote the bible and to determine whether the book is historically accurate.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...3F&hl=en-CA
Old 01-06-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for that clarification.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borodog:

This familiar?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say someone wants you to prove, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that The Magnificent Seven was inspired by The Seven Samurai. The only information you have is that stored directly in the movies themselves and the knowledge that the writers, producers, and director of M7 were familiar with Kurosawa's work.

Imagine furthermore than an annoying person is jumping up and down in the corner saying "Oh! Oh! Both films were set on the planet Earth! Oh! They must be the same!" and seems to seriously believe that this will be sufficient to rebut your entire case.

Your move?

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither screenwriter was God, so your analogy fails.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did I know this was only going to result in self-inflicted head trauma?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:02 AM

Madnak:

Why are you addressing this to me? Borodog is the guy in the corner: "Ooh, Ooh. Jesus and Heracles both wore beards!"

There are plausible reasons to draw these types of connections, but a clumsy presenter can't be taken at his word, even if his physics background gives you wood.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:04 AM

That comes from colliding yourself upside the head while moving goal posts hastily.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:46 AM

Whoa! I've been looking for something which had exactly that kind of information for a long time. Thanks for the link!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Should A Religion Be Accorded More Respect Than Astrology?

[ QUOTE ]
Did logic come from philosophy or the other way around?

[/ QUOTE ]Philosophy uses logic.

[ QUOTE ]
I think philosophy has been good for civilization as a whole. But, in the end, philosophy says nothing about Absolutes. Therefore, it is really mere fun.

[/ QUOTE ]"Mere fun"?! What have you been reading?

And what do you mean by "Absolutes"? Philosophy is after questions such as : Where do we come from? Why are we here? Where are we going from here? Is there any purpose to our existence or the world's? What can we know? Etc.

Philosophy is about enquiry; religion is about "having" the answers. If you're looking for ready-made, "absolute" truths, religion is your game.

Mickey Brausch
Old 01-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Myths about Greek mythology

[ QUOTE ]
Much of the Jesus mythology was lifted straight from ercules. Virginal woman impregnated by a God, Hera (rather than Herod) wanted him dead, travelled the Earth as a man helping mankind and performing miraculous deeds, died and resurrected, ascended to Mount Olympus (i.e. Heaven) to become a God, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]Fortunately for his stomach Borodog has me on ignore. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] He'd otherwise get upset with me pointing out the huge fallacy of that claim. The Jesus story has little to do, if at all, with the myth of Hercules. The origins of the story of Jesus lie elsewhere.

Hercules?! It's not even close.

As to Greek mythology, I never heard of Zeus impregnating a virgin girl and the girl remaining a virgin! There is no immaculate conception in Greek religion or mythology. The myth,for example, of the girl getting carried away & impregnated by a cloud, which is Zeus in disguise, does NOT imply that the girl remained a virgin after the knock-up. Same with Danae who was locked up in a prison by her father but Zeus transformed himself into golden rain and penetrated her prison room from a hole in the ceiling, a symbol for the pineal gland. Then he penetrated Danae. (You have to see the video.)

And Zeus was never "resurrected"; the horny old god found himself many times in trouble (almost always from his jealous wife) but always made his escape alive, transformed to a cloud, an animal, etc. Worse for wear but with a smile on his face.

Mickey Brausch

PS : For the nitpickers among you, Yes, the ancient Cretans, unlike the inhabitants of the mainland and alone among ancient Greeks, believed that Zeus died and resurrected annually. The exception that proves the rule.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Myths about Greek mythology

[ QUOTE ]

He'd otherwise get upset with me pointing out the huge fallacy of that claim. The Jesus story has little to do, if at all, with the myth of Hercules.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't get his main point, which is, um, er, well I'll let him explain.