Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Should A Religion Be Accorded More Respect Than Astrology? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=298766)

David Sklansky 01-04-2007 11:01 PM

Should A Religion Be Accorded More Respect Than Astrology?

Is there something wrong with a nonbeliever, or a believer in a different religion, characterizing other religions and their followers as equivalent to astrology and their followers? Is this somehow impolite or disrepectful even if this is actually the true opinion of the non believer?

runner4life7 01-04-2007 11:06 PM

Re: Should A Religion Be Accorded More Respect Than Astrology?

While I think astrology is "more obvious" to be bogus, I do believe from a nonbeliever's point of view they could look at them in the same light as both being wrong and should religion be wrong, it may as well be astrology, so I dont think its really disrespectful.

Magic_Man 01-04-2007 11:24 PM

This is exactly what 99% of people do with so-called Greek "Mythology" whenever they think about it. I tried changing my vocabulary to "Christian Mythology" instead of Christianity for a while, bit it didn't go over so well.

luckyme 01-04-2007 11:30 PM

Truth isn't much of a factor in politeness or respect situations ( and those times it is a factor it may be inversely related).

Characterizing various cults as 'equivalent to astrology' would be an upgrade. Astrologers don't attach motive to the mysterious forces they think are acting on us.
So, No, it shouldn't be the issue that it is, but it's the only cover most cults have.

luckyme

revots33 01-04-2007 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I think astrology is "more obvious" to be bogus, I do believe from a nonbeliever's point of view they could look at them in the same light as both being wrong and should religion be wrong, it may as well be astrology, so I dont think its really disrespectful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, if I think belief in astrology (or palm reading, tarot cards, etc.) is ridiculous there's really no social taboo in saying it. But if I think a religious belief is equally ridiculous, it is considered rude and intolerant to say so. Why?

There must be a reason why most athiests decide to just not bring it up at all. I don't think it's politeness so much as fear of being ostracized by the majority in-group.

MidGe 01-04-2007 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Truth isn't much of a factor in politeness or respect situations ( and those times it is a factor it may be inversely related).

Characterizing various cults as 'equivalent to astrology' would be an upgrade. Astrologers don't attach motive to the mysterious forces they think are acting on us.
So, No, it shouldn't be the issue that it is, but it's the only cover most cults have.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Very good answer I think.

RJT 01-05-2007 12:05 AM

I was going to reply to the young guy who posted that he was going to start being militant (my word, not his) with his atheism. I didn’t feel like replying, so I let it go. Since you bring up basically the same idea, but without the edge (whodda thunk it ?- you must be getting soft in your age), I’ll take a stab at it.

It depends on the context. Who are you talking to, how did the subject come up - is the other person obnoxious, things like that? What is the goal of the conversation? Is it to have a relatively intelligent ( I know that is perhaps oxymoronic from you point of view)? Is it to show the other person that he is illogical?

The thing about being smart and probably smarter than the person you are talking to is that it is unnecessary to be obnoxious yourself. When I know something for sure and one argues with me, often I just let it go. What’s the point, really? Life’s too short, as you know.

Then again, sometimes (at least for me) great ideas come out of heated discussions. I know in my family business, through the years, huge arguments turned into finding solutions to problems. (But, we are Italian; might be a cultural thing.) It’s kind of like poker. You have to play back at the opponent. You can’t let him steal your blinds all the time. So, if agitating the believer gets things going, that might work under certain conditions.

Then the other thing to think about is what is the goal in giving one’s opinion? When you started this whole religion thing last year, one of your “goals” seemed to be to get otherwise smart people from wasting their time on Religion. They could be using time better - to find cures for cancer, etc. (Again, my words, not yours.) That is a good goal. I don’t necessarily agree with it (or perhaps better stated, want it as my goal), but in that context, you might have to light a match - be a bit arrogant.

Bottom line is this, IMO: I think philosophy has been good for civilization as a whole. (Btw, did logic come from philosophy or the other way around? Either way, it seems to me that philosophy sharpens one’s logical skill.) But, in the end, philosophy says nothing about Absolutes. Therefore, it is really mere fun.

To get to any real Ultimates, I think Religion is a necessary vehicle (combined with science, philosophy and whatever else is going to work.) Now, I don’t really think we are going to find any Absolutes in our life time (if there even are any). But, the journey is half the fun. Same with Science. Why all the work? Why tax one’s brain? Same reason one climbs Everest.

Cliff notes: It is impolite and disrespectful. But if that is your gig, then knock yourself out.

Divad Yksnal 01-05-2007 12:08 AM

This question touches on things well beyond your understanding. Unfortunately, I can't comment further under this posting name.

DY.

chezlaw 01-05-2007 12:24 AM

Two occasions from my dim and distant past - I was getting on very well with girls.

One told me she believed I'd go to hell for not believing. She was unhappy about this but it didn't seem to bother her from a <ahem> social perspective.

The other asked me my star sign.

The second was far more of a turnoff.

Don't know if that helps.

chez

RJT 01-05-2007 12:27 AM

chez,

Tell the new kids the rest of the story. You met a great Italian girl.

RJT