Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Gigabet Match 5 of the $22s - Analyze his heads up play

[ QUOTE ]
He "happened" to find a good hand because he hung around long enough to find one. He certainly found enough bad ones too.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK there isn't much I can say about this. Your argument that the fact he "happened" to find these "good hands" in spots where it was correct for both players to be all-in is an indication for an edge, shows that we have a rather different understanding of HU confrontations, and maybe of EV in general. And according to my understanding, which obviously I believe to be the correct one, you are wrong.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:20 PM

I'm glad somebody brought up the stop-and-go again, becuase its really effective versus a weak opponent, as here, who is also minraiseing preflop with a huge range. I agree 100% with Lori, the 78 looks like a great spot for this, except that Gigabet hit his pair and decided to maximize.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

because half of the people in this thread couldn't beat a $22 if they tried and the other half have never played one.

[/ QUOTE ]
In short stacked heads up play buyin has little relevence. Your opponents will often times make many mistakes, regardless of buyin, and the goal is to exploit those without making mistakes of your own.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of looking at what hands he plays, which happens to be quite a major coincidence, have a look at his stack size when he chooses to put all his chips in, and when he doesn't. Someone in this thread might learn something by doing that, although most won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Giga pushed PF when:

his short stack was 5.8 BBs (JTs)
his big stack was 10.1 BBs (QJs)
his big stack was 9.6 BBs (KQs)
his big stack was 10.1 BBs (K2o)
his short stack was 5.1 BBs (Kc8d)
his short stack was 3.6 BBs (A7s)
his short stack was 3.6 BBs (65o)

Besides the point about pot odds when hero gets too short stacked, two threads come to mind on the subject of when it's most profitable for the short stack to push.

The first is eastbay's NL, HU game theory Q. eastbay's solution suggests that in a similar scenario, it is most profitable for the SB to push when his stack is about 4 BBs.

The second involves some speculation by gumpzilla, me, and others regarding the shape of the equity function for a difference in skills in a HU freezeout. Using the gambler's ruin formula, it appears that the value of a skilled player's stack increases at the fastest rate when he doubles up while short stacked.

The Shadow
Old 02-09-2006, 05:24 PM

reposting this because Lori doesnt think anyone did math on these hands.

"i couldnt agree more that he is folding way to many. For example

***** Hand History for Game 3470615643 *****
600/1200 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 19727706) - Tue Jan 31 14:21:22 EST 2006
Table Table 66778 (Real Money) -- Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 2
Seat 6: Gigabet (3048)
Seat 10: brandtwolf15 (4952)
Gigabet posts small blind (300)
brandtwolf15 posts big blind (600)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Gigabet [ 5s, Jc ]
Gigabet folds.
** Summary **
Main Pot: 900
Gigabet balance 2748, lost 300 (folded)
brandtwolf15 balance 5252, bet 600, collected 900, net +300

put this guy on maniac and its +1.3%. This is just one of the many more that I push."

How is this even close? Do you fold +1.3% pushes(i feel this is 1.3% at the least, could be more) a lot because when we want to talk about reaching ROI's that are obtainable I feel like not pushing this against most opponents is a pretty big leak.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reposting this because Lori doesnt think anyone did math on these hands.

"i couldnt agree more that he is folding way to many. For example

***** Hand History for Game 3470615643 *****
600/1200 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 19727706) - Tue Jan 31 14:21:22 EST 2006
Table Table 66778 (Real Money) -- Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 2
Seat 6: Gigabet (3048)
Seat 10: brandtwolf15 (4952)
Gigabet posts small blind (300)
brandtwolf15 posts big blind (600)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Gigabet [ 5s, Jc ]
Gigabet folds.
** Summary **
Main Pot: 900
Gigabet balance 2748, lost 300 (folded)
brandtwolf15 balance 5252, bet 600, collected 900, net +300

put this guy on maniac and its +1.3%. This is just one of the many more that I push."

How is this even close? Do you fold +1.3% pushes(i feel this is 1.3% at the least, could be more) a lot because when we want to talk about reaching ROI's that are obtainable I feel like not pushing this against most opponents is a pretty big leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

They will almost surely be looser than maniac, but not loose enough to make this close to a fold.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like not pushing this against most opponents is a small but by no means insignificant leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 02-09-2006, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What the heck are you on about? That was not to your last post, more about the half cant beat 22's the other have never tried post.

[/ QUOTE ]

The high limit players in this forum are so detatched from the reality of the low limits that it is embarrassing to read their posts.
The low limit ones just follow the ones who make the most noise.

FWIW I push the 68s, but that is the only hand I play differently.

This heads up looked utterly standard to me and I'm very surprised that there is so much "nudge nudge, yes we know it's wrong" without a single post analysing where or why.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay you are annoying the hell out of me lately. Your attitude of "all you high limit players don't understand the subtlety of low limit play" is just ridiculous. Take for example the hand with T9o and just over 5x the BB. Pushing preflop is a minimum of +.5 EV.

Don't act like you are some god who just knows that its correct to forgo such HUGE +ev spots against weak players because you just know the $11s so well. I'm sorry to be a !@##@^, but the tone of your responses to my comments was just ridiculous. Here is another great comment from you:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So instead of thinking a bad play is a bad one, I should instead try to learn from it. Give me a break man

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an attitude you might try, just once.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

You act as though I never learn from anything. ChrisV posted something interesting just yesterday that I've been thinking about a lot. However I see absolutely nothing to learn from these hands. But gee, thanks for your helpful advice. From now on when I see bad plays, Im going to reconsider all the hours of study I put in, and think to myself "gee, maybe I was wrong about that math stuff" and I'll reconsider the endless moron concept of passing up huge +EV spots to get even huger ones in the future because we are just so great at poker when the blinds are gigantic compared to our stack.

If you wanted to know what hands specifically I felt I would have played differently, you could have just said "curtains what hands would you have played differently?" At that point I would have listed every single hand and my reasons for doing so. Instead you felt it was a better strategy to personally attack me and make rude comments.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:38 PM

Oh well, I tried. Good luck.

Lori
Old 02-09-2006, 06:12 PM