Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Saban

[ QUOTE ]
Finebaum has already declared that Saban will win a national championship within 4 years. He is priming the pump already.

[/ QUOTE ]

he then also said it might come sooner.... haha... Finebaum knows how to get Barn and Bama fans going that's for sure
Old 01-03-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
crap, Fins got a lot of young defensive talent, I would have loved to see Saban work with the defensive backs especially Allen to make them into premier talents. [censored] you Nick Saban

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I like Crowder and Bell. I don't know if I believe Allen will ever make a good NFL starter. He's got physical skills, but apparently is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I saw him @ UT and loved him and think he can make plays in the NFL as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 PM

I see this thread became side tracked about "Which are the biggest college football coaching jobs?"

You people are doing what people always do, only remember recent history. Just like all those retarded "top" ESPN lists that are loaded with games/teams/players from the past 5 years.

Clearly there is a big difference between what's good NOW vs. what's been historically good. If you wanna look at the "now" just look at the final AP rankings the last 5-10 years.

However if you were to pick the top 10 teams based on the last 120 years of college football, the programs selected would be (in no particular order)

Notre Dame
Alabama
Tennessee
Texas
Michigan
Ohio State
USC
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Penn St.

These teams have the best traditions, most wins, most bowls, most titles, etc.

Anyone putting Oregon or Boston College on the list is cracked.

Also if your own team of interest is not on the list, my apologies, but you aren't history's cream of the crop (yet).

D-IA win % since 1945(scroll to bottom)
Old 01-03-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see this thread became side tracked about "Which are the biggest college football coaching jobs?"

You people are doing what people always do, only remember recent history. Just like all those retarded "top" ESPN lists that are loaded with games/teams/players from the past 5 years.

Clearly there is a big difference between what's good NOW vs. what's been historically good. If you wanna look at the "now" just look at the final AP rankings the last 5-10 years.

However if you were to pick the top 10 teams based on the last 120 years of college football, the programs selected would be (in no particular order)

Notre Dame
Alabama
Tennessee
Texas
Michigan
Ohio State
USC
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Penn St.

Also if your own team of interest is not on the list, my apologies, but you aren't history's cream of the crop (yet).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the debate is over what the top programs/coaching jobs are NOW, not what would have been the best job 25 years ago. And using 120 years of history to settle the debate is just retarded. I'm definitely not in the camp that says you should ONLY look at the recent five years, but putting so much stock in what they did 25+ years ago is equally screwy.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:21 PM

I think you totally wiffed on my point WRT Oregon.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Dids,

No, your "point" is just not very good. Oregon does not belong on any such list.

J
Old 01-03-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Notre Dame
Alabama
Tennessee
Texas
Michigan
Ohio State
USC
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Penn St.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on.
I would also like to note how it breaks down by conference for the poster who said BC was a top level job.

Teams in the top 25 of based on all time winning percentage by conference

SEC - 8
Big 10 - 3
Big 12 - 3
Pac 10 - 3
ACC - 3

BC clocks in at number 43 in all time winning percentage a couple of spots behind Troy, Nevada, and LA Tech.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:17 PM

The best jobs aren't always at the 'best programs'

I agree with Dids that the UO job is a peach. Great facilities, some money, and the expectations are very low compared to an Alabama. Belotti has it made, he makes $1 mil + with incentives which isn't an awful salary even compared to some of the bigger programs. And the biggest perk, nobody is calling for his job although here is his record over the past 4 seasons:

8-5
5-6
10-2
7-6

However I also agree that UO doesn't belong in the discussion of best programs and likely never will.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:34 PM

"However I also agree that UO doesn't belong in the discussion of best programs and likely never will."

Which is of course (and I know you know this) that that's not the point I was making.

Great job, not a great program. In terms of "very attractive jobs for a HC candidate" I think it ranks higher than many mentioned and specifically 'Bama.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:43 PM

Good riddance! Go back to College, you bum! Can't handle the NFL!!! Can't handle a challenge!? What a sissy-boy.