Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Concealed Carry Lifestyle

Marge: Mmm! No! [pulls gun from Homer] No one’s using this gun! The TV said you’re 58 percent more likely to shoot a family member than an intruder!

Homer: TV said that . . . ? But I have to have a gun! It’s in the Constitution!

Lisa: Dad! The Second Amendment is just a remnant from revolutionary days. It has no meaning today!

Homer: You couldn’t be more wrong, Lisa. If I didn’t have this gun, the king of England could just walk in here anytime he wants and start shoving you around. [pushing Lisa] Do you want that? [pushing her harder] Huh? Do you?

Lisa: [quietly indignant] No . . .

Homer: All right, then.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is not one single moment in my life so far where I wish I could go back and give myself a gun.

OP, when have you found yourself in a real-life situation where you wished you had a gun? Not just to make yourself feel more confident, but a situation in which you needed it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I love this reply. I too have never had an instance where I wish I would have been armed. Maybe I'm just lucky like that but I think *most* of the people in this forum weren't roaming the mean streets in some ghetto at some point in their lives and needed protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanksgiving morning my apartment was broken into. I was out of town, but my roommate was home. The burglar kicked in his bedroom door and tried to shoot him. Luckily the gun jammed, but my roommate now really wishes he'd been armed. It's a rare occurance, but these things happen. Being prepared for it isn't a bad thing.

We don't live in the ghetto, although there are projects about 2 miles away. Our particular street isn't the nicest, but many of the refurb houses on the surrounding streets are selling from 300-500k.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What worries more is, well, me. It just seems like a fellow with my personality would be a bit more likely to tell someone to go [censored] themself knowing that I have the ultimate out. I'm sober and mostly social but not too tolerant of morons. I've haven't been in any sort of fight in 30 years. Balance that against the potential to successfully defend yourself if needed. I just dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you stupid? If not, then you have little to worry about. Carrying a gun for self defense is good for security should the situation arise, but if you have any degree of common sense, I seriously doubt that you'll use your gun aggressively. It's colossally -EV. That should keep the gun out of sight.

This is why I don't have any fear of rednecks with guns. Unless you're REALLY stupid, or have exceptionally high time preference (drug dealers/addicts, the extremely impoverished), you are probably smart enough to know that the consequences of firearms aggression in a civilized world are severe.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is not one single moment in my life so far where I wish I could go back and give myself a gun.

OP, when have you found yourself in a real-life situation where you wished you had a gun? Not just to make yourself feel more confident, but a situation in which you needed it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I love this reply. I too have never had an instance where I wish I would have been armed. Maybe I'm just lucky like that but I think *most* of the people in this forum weren't roaming the mean streets in some ghetto at some point in their lives and needed protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented thinking. You might as well ask the same thing of home owner's insurance.

"When have you found yourself in a real-life situation where you wished you had home owner's insurance? Not just to make yourself feel more confident, but a situation in which you needed it? When has your house ever burned down or been hit by a tornado?"

Unlikely events do actually happen. Preparing for unlikely events, especially when the risk of ruin is high and the preparation is relatively simple, makes perfect sense.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get a double-action snubnosed revolver with a low profile hammer, like the S&W 340PD, 5 shot .357 Magnum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray Zee recommended that gun to me awhile back. I'm looking to get one very soon, and take the concealed weapons class.

Fun stuff... BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fine choice. It just won't work for me. Where and how I live allows me to wear shorts to the beach every damn day. That means small. i've seen some titainium frame pistols that are really light but add 5 158 gr .357 cartridges and it's still pretty heavy. Expensive too.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:26 AM

obv I carry, more thoughts later, but more guns less crime
Old 12-31-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might as well ask the same thing of home owner's insurance.

"When have you found yourself in a real-life situation where you wished you had home owner's insurance? Not just to make yourself feel more confident, but a situation in which you needed it? When has your house ever burned down or been hit by a tornado?"

Unlikely events do actually happen. Preparing for unlikely events, especially when the risk of ruin is high and the preparation is relatively simple, makes perfect sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very well put.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 AM

Misfire, hmkpoker, Borodog,

I think all three of you grossly miscalculate the possibility of someone using or brandishing a weapon unnecessarily because of their emotional state. Take the OP's comments for example.

Drugs, alcohol, and/or women may also contribute, but Misfire's story about being robbed is the first in this whole thread that's made sense to pack heat. And even then the outcome could have gone in a totally different direction than it did, possibly worse.

You can "results oriented thinking" me until your head hurts, but when I think back to all the disputes/arguments/fights I've seen, overall someone carrying a firearm would provide by far the worst results.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:57 AM

Two words: Prisoner's Dilemma.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
amp,

Perhaps he's still smarting from you pwning him in a game of Werewolf. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't make me have to shoot your dumb ass, tuq.