Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Making the move to cash games - MTTer needs advice

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just made my first post in SSNL

First post in SSNL

man fold that flop

having failed to do that, fold turn.

failed to do that, fold riv. oh wait u hit a set. ALL IN SHIP IT

Villain showed KK (top set), hero got stacked. Time to re-think the whole hand street by street

Seriously though, you would fold QQ on a Kxxr board ATF or would you give villain another chance to chicken out/provide info ATT? What if villain cold-called instead of RRing PF - how much would that change your mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you really wanna play it after the K flop, I would lead out. he reraised pre, so leading out says "i have a K, do you?" if he calls or raises, your done. the problem with check calling is you don't learn anything. The only time I would take that line is with a manic type that will bet every street with a mid pair. Then I would check call the whole way and accept the outcome. But with all normal opponents, check/fold, lead out, and check/raise are all better lines than check/call.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:53 PM

nah thats pretty off
Old 12-28-2006, 04:08 PM

Don, I think you are making this harder then it needs to be. Readless, he made a weird-sized reraise preflop that screams big pair, he gave you lovely little odds to call with ANY pocket pair and hit your set, you didn't, the flop had a K, you usually aren't beating anything, check/fold flop.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you really wanna play it after the K flop

[/ QUOTE ]

No analysis of any poker hand should start with those words.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nah thats pretty off

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

if you really wanna play it after the K flop

No analysis of any poker hand should start with those words.

[/ QUOTE ]

fine, ima take my toys and go home and sulk in my basement [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

(edit-fwiw, he was asking about playing the flop wanting to continue. "But with all normal opponents, check/fold, lead out, and check/raise are all better lines than check/call." that reads my order of preference, so yes, I agree with folding flop. if the rest is botched, well, i try, but rarely feel like I know what I'm doing, so wouldn't surprise me much. fortunately for me, the average player sucks worse [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 12-28-2006, 05:14 PM

I appreciate your input in this thread Steve, and I see some benefits to your line - but the thing about leading out is that against a good/strong opponent he may float you or raise you even when you are ahead (to continue to represent a big pair) and still get you to fold a better hand - so leading out doesn't get you anymore info in that case. Against other opponents, you'll only get them to fold worse hands and continue with better hands, and against aggressive types you've kind of blocked them from betting with a worse hand. Generally I like the WA/WB line of check-calling here ATF (although this hand may be an exception because of villain's PF RR which narrowed his ROHs somewhat).