Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Making the move to cash games - MTTer needs advice

I don’t know if this belongs here or in SSNL/MSNL, but since most of the guys I know and respect are in here I thought I’d post this in MTTC.

There are several reasons why I’m making the move to play more cash games (like a 50/50 split instead of 100% MTT)-

1) Offset MTT variance
2) Improve my ‘deep’ game and for my overall development and versatility as a player
3) Utilize available screens and a change of pace from mid-level MTTs
4) for when I don’t have time to sit down for a longer / MTT-length session

Here are a few questions I have-

1) There are many posts in the NL forums about BRs and when a player should move up when starting from a small bankroll, but my situation is a little different. I’m probably rolled to play ~5000NL (according to most BR posts I’ve read), but I’d be overmatched in those games on so many levels (plus I’m a BR nit [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). Instead, I figure I’ll start at 200NL and move up a level every time I win say 30 buy-ins; does that sound like a reasonable plan (other suggestions)?

2) Would I better off buying-in for say 30-50 BBs where I have more experience or should I should buy-in for 100+BBs / the table max?

3) Also, is there anybody who made the switch from 100% MTTs to ~50/50 and came back to 100% MTTs?

4) Any other advice to a player who started out in STTs 3.5 years ago and has been playing MTTs almost exclusively for the last 2-3 years? Please share your story of moving to cash and things you did well or would do differently.

TIA,
DonT
Old 12-26-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Making the move to cash games - MTTer needs advice

1) Sounds like a good plan to me. I'd think you should be able to move up from 200nl pretty quick and it's a pretty good level to start at.

2) Considering you'll be way over rolled for 200nl I'd recommend buying in for 100BBs(table max most places). If you're a solid player you should have no problem playing at 100BBs. Also, you might as well just starting learning how to play 100+BBs right away.

3) I've made the switch and haven't come back to just MTTs. (Maybe talk to FGators)

4) Good luck.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:31 PM

instead of doing it over a number of buyins, try doing it after x amount of winning hands. and also just do it when you feel comfortable. and game select when you move up to 3/6 or higher -- dont just play the limit because "youre a 3/6 player now." you dont ever have to feel locked into one limit.

2) absolutely not -- just buy in for 100 BBs and stay at nl200 for a while while you learn. read a ton in the ssnl and msnl forums, and consider hiring a coach (check 3bet.net for some great coaches from 2p2).

3) me, but i mean... its not like permanent, and i dont really think about it. its just, right now im playing MTTs. i was a winning cash player despite learning while doing (and i did good too, something like 6.15 PTBB/100 over a smallish sample size of about 60k hands).

4) well, one thing is, like i said earlier, dont feel like "i'm a 3/6 player now, its embarassing to play at 2/4." game select. be a 2/4 to 5/10 player. pick good games. dont be too proud.

the other thing id say is that poker isnt just about being rolled from a sort of mathematical standard deviation standpoint. you also need to be "emotionally rolled" for a limit. i moved up to 3/6 when i had 25 buyins in my roll. i was a winner at all the limits below that and had some success in shots at 3/6. i was also a winner at 3/6 (and am in my DB), but when i had a 6 buyin downswing one night (something that will happen all the time), it made me feel sick. so you need to make sure, as you move up, that you're very comfortable at that limit.

also just take it slow. cash is ALOT harder and a lot more complicated than MTTs. theres a lot more of a learning curve. dont be too proud to hire a coach, or to ask your friends that play cash for advice on hands. read a lot on 2p2 and review your hands at the end of the day. my most profitable times playing cash were the periods that i actually took time to look over the days hands, and that i actively participated in ssnl.

also make sure that youre able to take the game seriously at every limit. cts, resident cash game god here at 2p2, plays limits ranging from 100/200NL all the way down to 3/6 and 2/4 NL. it takes real discipline to play well at those stakes that are lower than your average stakes, but i think it's SO important in terms of being able to game select well and maximize your earn.

good luck!
Old 12-26-2006, 05:32 PM

If you're starting off at 200 nl, no reason not to start at 100 bbs. Might as well learn how to play deep at a low stake. Just remember there's alot more flop play and there's no rush to win pots.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:49 PM

i'd prob get a coach
Old 12-26-2006, 05:56 PM

Sorry to hijack, but I also just moved to cash games from tournaments. I've had some success in a short period of time and subscribing to card runners has helped a lot.

How much more valuable is a coach compared to a subscription to a training website? Also, how much do coaches cost?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:00 PM

i've never got coaching or actually coached but i think it's like 100-300 an hour, varying from 1/2 to 2/4 to 5/10 + or something.

you'd ba amazed at the info/betting patterns / money per hour that it matters talking to someone who is a MSNL pro/grinder with a v strong winrate that can describe thought process or whatever; especially in the post Party era.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:00 PM

How does one magically get a coach? Also, is it generally a payment per hour type deal or what?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:04 PM

yea it's generally per hour. there are a lot of guys i'd recommend in MSNL, post in the Official monthly thread and ask about it. Or, read advice for like a few weeks and see whose style that you really like. post in the monthly, ask for one, you'll get a million PMs. there are tons of great coaches at 3-bet.net and i'm sure some are out on their own. i've been thinking on getting into it for a long time but i don't really know how to go about becoming a coach.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:09 PM

coach me? lol