Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Re: 200NL - Set on dry flop - what\'s my best line?

I like leading here lead out with a pot sized bet, if one of them has an overpair or a lower set, they will raise u or at least call. when u lead 2/3 on the turn they will have a difficult decision and some will pay u off with AA,KK,QQ. If they have nothing they will fold off course. As Brunson says: Lead into the raiser!

If u never bet out here with anything but a set and your opponents knows it u can checkraise. Since it is a multiway pot and u have nice position on the raiser u will probably get more money in the pot, BUT an overpair may get away.

The problem here is that your hand is pretty well defined no matter how u play it. What can u have?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:05 PM

I don't like a pot sized bet at all here. Won't that fold out a hand like AK that a weak lead might induce to raise?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:13 PM

I think situations like this largely depend on your table image. Do you usually bet a 9 or 5 in this situation. If you are playing against perceptive players, you want to set up the hand so they misread your holding.

Have you recently checkraised to steal a pot? Do you always check when you have no hand? The idea is to sell them a story, the wrong story.

With that dry a board, I think you have a wide freedom of plays on both the flop and the turn without risking too much of a chance of losing the hand. If the turn is safe, you can still sit in the bush but don't forget about the story you are weaving.

A good poker friend of mine has tried to show me this theory of selling a story. For example, you might decide to play this hand like you had Q9. So how would you normally play that hand such that your opponents would recognize and put you on that type of hand?

So let's see how that might go. If villain thinks you put him on a big ace, then a lead bet of half the pot might just tell him you have a 9 and are probing to see if he has an overpair. What would you expect villain to do if he has a big ace and likewise what would he do with an overpair? So carry on with your story according to his reaction.