Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2006, 09:58 AM

Default Re: 10/20 Turn Play

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Suppose KK has 40% equity at the moment. Both players are highly insensitive to board texture and flop pressure; no matter what happens on the flop and what comes on the turn, SB bets the turn and BB calls.

Why shouldn't Hero raise with KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not talking about the turn right now, I'm talking about the flop play. The reason this is a bad flop raise is cuz the hero's preceived equity advantage is an illusion. Any J,T,9,8,7,Q,A,club can either ruin the hero's hands or demote his hand to a simple draw with one card to come. So the hero's equity is going to change dramatically based on that turn card which is why raising the flop before we see that turn card is a mistake. Again what I'm saying here is not very deep or advananced. I'm talking about basic fundamentals and raising this flop is a fundamental mistake. Part of the process of becoming an expert player is cleaning up all these fundamental errors becuz theyre the easiest errors to correct. For the same reason you'll never see a coach like Bobby Knight call a timeout when he has none left, you'll also never see an expert poker player raise this flop. Great coaches, great strategists, or expert poker players dont make fundamental mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant 40% equity on the flop. My hypothetical is far-fetched but not as implausible as it seems.

BTW... You said that "expert poker players don't make fundamental mistakes." Wanna bet?

--Nate
Old 12-26-2006, 11:19 AM

Default Re: 10/20 Turn Play

This board is way too coordinated for me to raise the flop. I'd want to get to showdown pretty quick here. At the turn the new Ten scares everyone (jacks scared of trips, straights scared of full houses, flush draws still drawing and also scared of full houses) and people may be slow playing. I'd check behind here and hope to get to showdown for 1 or fewer bets and risk the free card which should be fairly obvious if it helps (straight or flush).

Seems weak but the pot is pretty nice for KK and you really don't want to bet/raise and get reraised, I'd take my chances on the river.