Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Pocket 99. Did I make my move too soon?

[ QUOTE ]
would have done it even if there was more time before the blinds went up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes sir.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:55 PM

"I shove maybe 30-40% of my hands here"

Wow. That's awesome. I've been thinking about that statement pretty much since I read it. I've been looking at punishing limpers as an area of my game where I'm missing a lot of opportunities and your post makes me think I may not have realized just how many opportunities I'm missing out on. Please teach me! Lots of questions about your statement:

1. Does the short time until the blinds go up again play a part in this?

2. What does your range look like? Or if you'd rather answer it this way...in this situation do you have any bias towards a specific type of hand for the more marginal part of the range?

3. I assume that you'd consider the situation even juicier if you've in the blinds? And possibly widen your range even more if you were?

4. Would you do this just as much in an 18 man turbo, where there's generally more reward for survival, and less payoff for chip accumulation than in a real MTT? (assuming you even agree with that generalization).

5. I'm interested in whether you would do this as much against better players. My impression from your posts is that you're generally playing a LOT of tables at any given time, and that you would be doing this move readless...so I guess the best way to ask it is whether you would do the move as often at higher buy-ins where the players are generally going to be better?
Old 12-23-2006, 06:29 PM

FWIW, I am not as agressive as Shaun and I don't push as many hands from here as he does, but I'm still pushing quite a few. From the small blind I'll push more, and the big blind more still (because there are less people to wake up with a hand) if I can increase my stack by more than 10%. When I am considering moves like this it's never about how how soon the blinds are going up but what I can add to my current stack through the move. Sometimes you have a yahoo who limped AK and calls (or AA/KK, but I don't consider than necessarily a bad play, just bad timing for me), but I'm almost never that bad off when I get a call, even when I'm pushing weaker hands. And the better the players are, the more inclined I am to push (because their calling ranges will be tighter). Edit: as Shaun points out, you are not often in this situation with better players, though.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Does the short time until the blinds go up again play a part in this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I used to play with it on the info tab for chat but I changed after a month because I liked having chat on. Very rarely do I know when the blinds are going up. I have a sense usually like at this table we've been at this level for 10+ min and they are changing soon. At that time I may check the stats bar and say I am UTG and theres 1-2min left I will take my time in my dec and try to set it up to be OTB when the blinds go up.
[ QUOTE ]

2. What does your range look like? Or if you'd rather answer it this way...in this situation do you have any bias towards a specific type of hand for the more marginal part of the range?

[/ QUOTE ] I dunno it really depends on my mood I may overlimp with a suited 1 gapper or shove with it when I say 30-40% of hands each day the exact dynamics of that range change somedays I'll shove my A3s over them others that will be im the limping range. It's too hard to be like shove this hand limp this one when you are talking about the middle of the road hands. Go by feel that way essentially your range is top 60-70% but you are only shoving 40% of the time with those hands.
[ QUOTE ]

3. I assume that you'd consider the situation even juicier if you've in the blinds? And possibly widen your range even more if you were?

[/ QUOTE ]
Obv when you are in the blinds as opposed to OTB it means there is 1 or 2 people less still to act who haven't shown any weakness or str yet about their hand. When you shove OTB you are most likley to be called by SB/BB/last limper/first limper in my experiences in that order for frequency.
[ QUOTE ]

4. Would you do this just as much in an 18 man turbo, where there's generally more reward for survival, and less payoff for chip accumulation than in a real MTT? (assuming you even agree with that generalization).

[/ QUOTE ]
Never played in one since maybe 2 years ago on party sometimes I would play their 20/30/50 man 50$ sit and goes. This was a common move from SNGs even have a name PVS for the poster who used to do it out of the BB a lot. I originally used it in SNGs the few that I played a long time ago and just noticed it was just as effective in MTTs.
[ QUOTE ]

5. I'm interested in whether you would do this as much against better players. My impression from your posts is that you're generally playing a LOT of tables at any given time, and that you would be doing this move readless...so I guess the best way to ask it is whether you would do the move as often at higher buy-ins where the players are generally going to be better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well what you are saying is a contradiction, better players are more aggressive and there are less 3-4person limped pots. I am also more fearful of when a solid player open limps than your avg 40/5 180 player. Also, my move is never completely readless unless I am on my laptop which doesn't have PAHUD or PT yet. I used to do this without stats before last month and getting PAHUD, needless to say I've been getting caught less due to the added info at the tables.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:50 PM

shaundeeb: You mentioned PAHUD. Do you buy it from the same vendor as pokertracker? Easy to use and helpful in Mtts? I had thought it was only for cash games.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:52 PM

easy to use helpful if you understand it. I along with most people don't use it to is maximum but it still is very useful.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:04 PM

thanks. Is it sold by pokertracker?