Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Atheist Scientists Who Haven\'t Studied The Bible

[ QUOTE ]
And there is evidence for the resurrection. If a scientist making a scientific statement asserts that the resurrection definitely didn't happen, if 10,000 scientists agree with that conclusion, I want to know the basis for their opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is coming up a lot on this forum. Can some people from both sides give us their evidence for and against the resurrection? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:13 PM

The biggest evidence against is something chezlaw and lucky me don't accept.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can some people from both sides give us their evidence for and against the resurrection? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've mentioned this book a couple times already. McDowell's Evidence That Demands a Verdict is a good starting point. One of my posts has a more complete description.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:41 AM

David,

The OP's question seems a bit bizarre to me. Should we go further and ask about those scientists that haven't "studied" numerology or astrology. If they had to "study" all these things, or if it would be in any way warranted, they may not have enough time to concern themselves with their own sciences?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If the statement was supportive of the resurrection, would you be as demanding for an explanation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I be? I already believe it. Would you be as willing to accept what they said?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If 100 randomly chosen brilliant people are very sure of a subject that they have studied thoroughly, don't I have a right to conclude that those who disagree with them are probably wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If 100 randomly chosen brilliant people are very sure of a subject that they have studied thoroughly, don't I have a right to conclude that those who disagree with them are probably wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the right to believe whatever.

IF your definition of ‘brilliant’ is for people excellent in logic and mathematics and the subject they were studying was highly artistic in nature.

I think the brilliant people are more likely to be wrong, even to the point of being more incompetent than the average person you could pull off the street.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:43 AM

"IF your definition of ‘brilliant’ is for people excellent in logic and mathematics and the subject they were studying was highly artistic in nature.

I think the brilliant people are more likely to be wrong, even to the point of being more incompetent than the average person you could pull off the street."

Even if this were true it would be irrelevant to the subject at hand. Coming to a conclusion about a question that has a definite answer.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can think of several athiests who set out to prove the Bible false only to end up becoming a christian because God used that endevour to draw them to Him.

[/ QUOTE ]

i too have several made up examples
Old 12-20-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Can some people from both sides give us their evidence for and against the resurrection? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've mentioned this book a couple times already. McDowell's Evidence That Demands a Verdict is a good starting point. One of my posts has a more complete description.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll check it out, but I need to know something first. I did a 2+2 search for evidence posts, and found repeated use of the following three points:

[ QUOTE ]

If Jesus did not rise from the dead, how do you explain the following:

1. Jesus staked his entire ministry on the fact that he would rise from the dead. Why would he risk destroying the entire movement of Christianity on a false prophecy?

2. The tombs of other religious leaders are visited and worshipped by many each year. This is true of Buddha, Confusious, Muhammad, and Joseph Smith. Why is the same not true for Jesus?

3. The disciples hid following the arrest of Jesus for fear of being put to death. After the alleged resurrection, the disciples suddenly began to preach without fear of death. Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this what the book is going to cover? If it is, I am not going to read it. Evidence in the form of "this doesn't make sense, how do you explain it otherwise?" is not evidence to me. Apologies if that's not what the book covers, but I need a clear answer about this before I start studying up.

TO EVERYONE: PLEASE don't reply either bashing or supporting the points listed above. I just want to know if there is compelling evidence beyond those main points, as they are the ones that are brought up the most on this forum.

~MagicMan