Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 11:30 PM

Default Atheist Scientists Who Haven\'t Studied The Bible

Several posters have brought up the point that even if brilliant people are more likely to be correct about subjects they have studied, few have studied the Bible and other pieces of evidence regarding Judaism and Christianity.

But that point is pretty irrelevant unless those posters believe that many of these brilliant atheists would change their tune if they did undertake such studies. Do they really think that?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Atheist Scientists Who Haven\'t Studied The Bible

Yes.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:53 PM

Didn't see that coming.
Kind of a pointless question.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

so take the "brilliant atheists" and take all of the ones who HAVE "undertake[n] such studies"

have "many" of them "change[d] their tune?"

surely you would agree that the answer is NO..right? (I obviously don't know this for sure depending on what "many" means, but I don't think many people would think otherwise..although I'm sure you might.)

so why is that? "hardened hearts?"...I find it hard to believe that those who have actively pursued such studies would be more likley than the average to suffer from the hardened heart syndrome.

on a side note...txag, do you ever feel like you are just spitting out the answer that a good follower of Christ would be expected to spit out, rather than actually forming your own opinion..because I can't see how reasonable person can give the answer of "yes" to that unless the above is the case
Old 12-19-2006, 12:26 AM

Reading the Bible or Torah alone isn't sufficient as far as studying the subject, though I don't mean they need to take Pascal's Wager as far as actually living the religious life for a year. As far as the numbers who would change their tune if they did a more thorough study that I am talking about, it wouldn't IMO be any greater or smaller than for the percent of the population overall who comes to religious belief when not previously having same. But nonetheless, that number of them would be significant enough to notice and thus invalidate your argument. Remember that even with a more "liberal" standard for salvation that I have put forward as to sincere non-believers who follow the golden rule/natural law, I still don't believe a majority of men will actually be saved, primarily because of not following the part of the rule/law about helping those less fortunate than them, even if it would mean living a lesser lifestyle as a result.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if you will enjoy our Bible Study thread that starts tomorrow...
Old 12-19-2006, 02:17 AM

I can think of several athiests who set out to prove the Bible false only to end up becoming a christian because God used that endevour to draw them to Him.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can think of several athiests who set out to prove the Bible false only to end up becoming a christian...

[/ QUOTE ]

how can you not see how worthless that statement is?

what % would you guess have had that result?

there is certainly a much greater % that have not become Christians

[ QUOTE ]
...because God used that endevour to draw them to Him.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's certainly just speculation..and is in any event not relevent to this particular discussion.

--it is certainly easy to say that those who have become christians were led by god in that way, and those who did not were not led by god in that way or didn't try hard enough or have hardened hearts or don't want to accept the truth...

still, these would not affect the argument
Old 12-19-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't see that coming.
Kind of a pointless question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pardon the off-topic, but, arahant,

You are the spam, spam, eggs and spam of the frivolous, irrelevant reply.

Will you please make way for the customary heavyweight discourse of SMP and stop wasting bandwidth with silly garbage that is hardly worthy of a landfill? There are people here who are trying to write.

Thank you,

A Concerned Contributor
Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can think of several athiests who set out to prove the Bible false only to end up becoming a christian because God used that endevour to draw them to Him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who sets out to "prove" the bible false probably isn't brilliant.

If anything, I would imagine that a brilliant person's atheism would be more likely to be reinforced after studying the bible. I wouldn't consider myself brilliant, but I am definately more intelligent than most of my peers and this is the effect it had on me.