Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: OOT decides - Do I have to drop my trainer?

OK, a catch-all

[ QUOTE ]
Could you give us some examples of the movements he is having you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Benching machines: Not full extension.
Shoulder Press: Beginning upward movement well before arms are parallel to the ground.
Lat Rows, other back exercises: I get full stretches, but reps are done much quicker than normal.
Leg Press: Definitely not bringing my knees in the whole way.

[ QUOTE ]
grr. I hate how this has become the traditional fitness wisdom. using machines will make your balance and stability WORSE not better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figure to build stability/balance through extensive core work (a routine I had to develop basically on my own, btw). I understand machines won't help stability, but I always figured that free-weights create too much of a cheat-friendly environment before you gain some semblence of stability.

[ QUOTE ]
best thing to do period is join a gym where you and guy your age/group/mentality can feed of eachother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, I inherently don't like going to the gym, so I like the accountability of a trainer. Furthermore, at this point in my life, I can't think of anyone I would trust to go to the gym 6 days a week with me for any extended period of time. Plus, a friend isn't going to be as adept at spotting bad form or bad routines.

PS - I'm not at a health club. I go to Gold's. I like being surrounded by people way more in shape than me, and I also like it that people who go there don't [censored] around and socialize as much as they do at more popular gyms.

[ QUOTE ]
Machines are bad if you are not the average height, arm length etc that the machine was designed for, plus free weights help build your secondary stabilizing muscles. Free Weights >>>>> Machines

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so it's clear to everyone, I [censored] love free weights. I want to use them as much as possible. However, being 5'11" with an average build (when I'm in shape) means that machines aren't that bad for me.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:07 PM

PS - I'm not at a health club. I go to Gold's. I like being surrounded by people way more in shape than me, and I also like it that people who go there don't [censored] around and socialize as much as they do at more popular gyms.

wha?

Machines are bad, dont use them much. I suggest dumping the trainer, and do your own research for a couple weeks, then hit the gym again, its much cheaper, and you will know what you are doing. I would maybe keep 1 or 2 sessions with teh trianer though just so he can make sure your form is good. Dont let him do anything to your routine other than make sure your form is good.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:11 PM

Also, the statement abotu free weights catering to a cheat-friendly enviroment means you are trying to lift too much weight, dial it down a notch and practice better form, and you wont be cheating.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:27 PM

Sorry, haven't read through the responses yet, but I don't know why you are on machines if "functional" muscles is what you are after.

Could you describe one of your training routines?