Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 09:24 PM

Default OOT decides - Do I have to drop my trainer?

OK, so I bought a training package at my gym two weeks ago, as motivation to keep me coming to the gym. 36 sessions over 3 months....a little over the top, considering that I'm reasonably knowledgeable about how to set up a routine and how to maintain proper form, but I like having someone there to make sure I'm doing things properly.

Anyways, the trainer that was assigned to me was a 55-year old guy (Ron) who used to train on Venice Beach. Long story short, the guy has some unique takes on working out. A lot of the fundamentals are there (use machines for the first month, more reps/sets instead of more weight, etc.), but I had some fears about how he sacrafices range of motion, negatives, and slow reps in the name of achieving more reps per set and more sets per workout, plus his knowledge of core and core workouts is a bit lacking.

That being said, the two weeks I've been lifting have been pretty good. The changes have been noticeable. My output has already increased by an average of 30% across the board and my shirts/pants are already fitting differently (though some of this can be attributed to muscle memory...I used to be in decent shape). Not only that, but between he and I, we've managed to discover at least a dozen little body-specific tweaks in certain exercises that has really helped me get more out of each rep. On top of that, we actually get along pretty well, and I think some of that rapport we've developed has led me to stay in the gym longer after sessions, because I don't want to let the guy down. Who knows what kind of effect a new trainer could have on this.

But the bottom line is that the way he is training me is more toward "getting built" as opposed to what I asked for, which is forming functional muscles. On top of that, limiting ROM and accelerating sets can be dangerous, especially to rotator cuffs. He's clearly "old school," which makes absolutely no sense in the gym.

When I first signed up, the head trainer guy said any time I wanted to, I could request a new trainer.

So my question to all you gym-savvy people is whether the positives outweigh the negatives here. I'd say that I'm 90% concerned about getting in good shape as quickly as possible, and 10% concerned with the social ramifications of having to see poor Ron every day, knowing I'm taking food out of his mouth....though the two considerations blend together a bit because feeling awkward around Ron might make me want to leave earlier.

Am I overestimating the negatives here? Is it more important to have a good feeling about going to the gym and staying in the gym? Or are the fears of injuries and good-looking but useless muscles warranted?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:36 PM

Default Re: OOT decides - Do I have to drop my trainer?

"But the bottom line is that the way he is training me is more toward "getting built" as opposed to what I asked for, which is forming functional muscles."

How do you do one and not the other?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:37 PM

What makes you think you wouldn't get a good feeling training with someone else? Especially someone who was more attuned to your goals? I'd guess you'd feel even better if you were accomplishing your own goals for yourself instead of somebody else's.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:41 PM

Big muscles don't necessarily do more work than smaller, properly-built muscles. A good example is with pecs. If you want to look all blown up, you focus on straigt benching and incline benching. Decline benches, and to some extent, flys, will not build as visually impressive muscles, but they allow the pecs to maximize their functionality.

For the record, I still do declines/flys with Ron. My issue has to do with his general approach to executing sets as opposed to the actual routines he has set up.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:42 PM

I mean, I'm happy to come in because Ron always has a few good stories from his Cali days, and he is also effective at motivating me to squeeze out an extra rep or two when I need it.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:45 PM

You may find another trainer equally inspiring, not least if he's more tuned in to your goals.

It's also much harder to dump bad habits than ingrain them. If you feel you are being trained incorrectly or developing imbalances, you are building up stuff you'll just have to undo later.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's also much harder to dump bad habits than ingrain them. If you feel you are being trained incorrectly or developing imbalances, you are building up stuff you'll just have to undo later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's the question. I'm not savvy enough to know whether all the small tweaks he's finding for me and extra pushing he does for me outweigh the fact that I'm not sure about the effectiveness of his limited ROM theory and his quick-tempo sets. What are the chances that I end up with a rotator injury if I stick with this? How much extra work will it take to re-build if I don't like how I turn out? What are the chances that I will be disappointed with the way I turn out?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the fundamentals are there (use machines for the first month . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

umm what? new trainer please.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:02 PM

You may not get hurt, but you might develop imbalances that set you up for injuries down the line, especially as you start lifting heavier weights and/or doing more sets. Basically it's never too early for correct fundamentals.

Uneven development, too, often can't just be fixed by starting to do the exercises right; you have to go back and stress fixing imbalanced muscles by working the ones you've avoided or built in an imbalanced way. That can slow down your progress for quite a while and be very frustrating.

So much so that it might seriously dig in to your commitment to keep coming into the gym. Hovering around at a level for a long time just so you can get balanced again can try the patience of a saint.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the fundamentals are there (use machines for the first month . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

umm what? new trainer please.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the machines are being combined with limited ROM, hoo boy ...