Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 11:44 AM

Default Re: The Prestige

I just saw this; this is brilliant. So many little touches of characterization...have to see it again.

The story reminds me of Flannery O'Connor's _Wise Blood_. I figure the author of the book/movie has got to be familiar with her.

You guys are poker players, so of course if you're going to be any good you have to know about illusion and what people think of you...it's not surprising that Ricky Jay, one of the consultants to the movie, is interested in poker. I just learned this browsing for his wonderful book, _Learned Pigs & Fireproof Women_.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that I had a question about that Ive seen brought up a little bit in this thread but not really was Bale sending Jackman to to "Tessla" for the secret..Now I was under the impression Bale just sent him there to waste Jackman's time and money and had no idea of this machine that could clone humans but when Jackman meets Tessla and finds that he does in fact have this machine that can make clones is this just pure luck/coincidence or am I
missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say coincidence. Obviously Bale knew OF him. And Bale also, obviously used electricity (to fancy up his show). He probably saw this as a way to mislead Jackman based on the fact that Bale had an OBVIOUS connection to Tesla. The trick being, he didn't have anything but a light show. He probably thought Tesla would mislead him for money too...Who knows. Then accident happens, and there are clones.

[/ QUOTE ]

At one point tessla tells jackman that he is pretty much working on it. When bale sent jackman to tessla, tessla did not have the machine working at all, but told Jackman he did so that Jackman would continue to fund him to get it working, which he eventually did.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:17 AM

has anyone read the book? the summary on wikipedia sounds kinda insane: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_prestige
Old 03-28-2007, 02:22 AM

the complex journal-within-a-journal-within-a-journal structure of the novel...yikes

this makes me respect the job the writers of The Prestige script did even more.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:09 AM

I found Prestige quite easy to follow. I also loved it, probably much more than it deserves. Something about it just captivated me. Maybe I just have very poor foresight, but I not see (part) of the ending coming. I'd put it up there with my favorite movies, and would highly recommend it. No clue how any self respecting male could like Illusionist better than this.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:22 AM

I have seen both movies. The Prestige >>> The Illusionist.