Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 03:47 PM

Default The Prestige

Has anyone seen this yet? Was just wondering if its any good...Seems similar to the Illusionist...
Old 10-20-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Re: The Prestige

May I ask you. Besides both movies being about magicians what the heck do they have in common?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
May I ask you. Besides both movies being about magicians what the heck do they have in common?

[/ QUOTE ]

They both take place ~100 years ago? To the average movie going public, that makes them exactly the same.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:34 PM

Haven't seen The Illusionist (still on my to-see list) but saw The Prestige this afternoon and thought it was VERY good. A must see.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:55 PM

saw The Presitge today...worth seeing but not great.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I would say that any film that has micheal caine and christian bale is worth seeing
Old 10-21-2006, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd basically agree with this. There were so many double and triple crosses in it that about 3/4 of the way through I started mentally processing all of the ways they could possibly end it, and I realized none of them would be satisfactory. I was correct in this.

Furthermore, I felt that Bale's motivation was cloudy at best, and I thought the lack of a true protagonist hurt the film. Scarlett Johannsen was excellent as the hot chick (this is a comment only on her appearance, as her character was pretty blank and pointless).

I must say the movie does get bonus points for casting Roger Rees, better known as the Sheriff of Rottingham. Regrettably, though, he had no cause to say, "That's going to chafe my willy!"
Old 10-21-2006, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone seen this yet? Was just wondering if its any good...Seems similar to the Illusionist...

[/ QUOTE ]

One problem with The Prestige is that it has "Pulp Fiction" disease to the tenth power.

Let's say a linear story is divided into 100 parts starting at 1 and ending at 100. Prestige seemed to start at 90, go to about 95, then flashback to about 10 going on to 40, then flash back again to about 5 going on to 20, then forward to 50 going to 60, then back again, then flash forward, then back, then forward but not so far, until I was far more dizzy trying to make sense of the time-line than I was of the magic.

Or maybe I just get mixed up easily.

~ Rick
Old 10-21-2006, 06:55 AM

I have a question to anyone that has seen the movie, especially if someone has a bootleg they can look at for me. It involves a spoiler so don't highlight the text below if you dont want to know about the ending of the movie.

SPOILER WARNING:

<font color="white"> I was wondering if someone could tell me what Bale says to his brother when they say goodbye to eachother at the jail. Specifically I'm wondering what he says about Sarah and what we're supposed to read into it. When Olivia has dinner with him and says Sarah wanted to meet her to tell her something about him (Bale) is it being suggested that she had found out/known that he had a twin brother? If so, are we supposed to believe that her apparent suicide was really a case of murder with the twin that is in jail tryinng to keep his/their secret? </font>
Old 10-21-2006, 10:23 PM

The Illusionist &gt;&gt; The Prestige.

As someone pointed out, the story was hyper non-linear, to the point of confusion and distraction. I wonder if this was done post op, to try to disguise the completely obvious ending (all of them). Normally seeing the direction a film is going doesn't bother me, but when I see it over an hour out from the ending, it really seems like going through the motions.