Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Ask me anything about the NHL.....

[ QUOTE ]
I have liked most of your responses so far and I am a die hard sharks fan for San Jose, but Kyle McLaren is not an elite defensman. He is one of the best hitters in the game bar none, but as far as his defensive skills he is pretty weak. I personally would love for the sharks to trade of of the goalies ( he have a stud in Sheafer in the minors) and McLaren for a stud defenseman. Then the sharks would win the cup. HAHA. jut my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I called him an elite defenceman but yah, your right, McLaren likely shouldn't have been grouped with the others I mentioned.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What, in your opinion, do the Blackhawks have to do to make it back in the playofs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let Bill Wirtz die and his organization with him. While they're likely to luckbox their way into the playoffs at some point in the next few years, their continuing reliance on signing outside talent just keeps the team good enough to avoid a shot at top-flight prospects.

Brent Seabrook and Duncan Keith are the first young defenders the Hawks have had since who knows when - the team is just terrible at drafting and developing talent.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do you have any inside info on redden being an alchoholic and that ott. traded away andre roy because he was getting redden into coke?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard this rumour. Is that the story that is going around?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah I'm friends with Andre he doesn't do coke and Redden doesn't have a drinking problem.

The reason Roy got traded was because neil took his spot ?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:02 AM

That sounds more likely to me
Old 12-15-2006, 02:01 PM

How the hell does Marcel Hossa still have a job and sees tons of playing time?

What is going to happen when Montoya is ready to play? What kind of value do you put on him?

Why has Prucha had such a huge dropoff from what he has previously shown?

What is your "scouting report" on all 3 of these guys?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell does Marcel Hossa still have a job and sees tons of playing time?

What is going to happen when Montoya is ready to play? What kind of value do you put on him?

Why has Prucha had such a huge dropoff from what he has previously shown?

What is your "scouting report" on all 3 of these guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to upstage Jay here - so I'll only answer one of these. Prucha had an unsustainable 23% shooting percentage last season - there was no way he could keep that up for a career. His stats in the Euro leagues are not very impressive and he is already 24 years old. Basically, last year is probably more of a fluke than anything else, and Prucha does not figure to be an elite-level sniper in the future - and the dropoff between elite-level scorer and NHL non-factor is not very extreme at all.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 PM

What do you think of the current schedule? Do you like the 8 divisional games?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gretzky and Lemieux were probably the 2 best players I have watched (my hockey history started in the early 80s

[/ QUOTE ]

You say probably the 2 best. What third player do you believe is in the same universe as these two players so as for you not to say "definitely the 2 best without any shred of doubt"?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:48 PM

Which 3 NW division teams do you think will make the playoffs (assuming NSH, DET, DAL, SJ, ANA all make it, and CHI and LA do not)?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:19 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]

I watch Rafalski every game - he's not the same player. His decision making has been poor. He's been his usual self on the PP but in every other zone he looks lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I'd be as harsh as you (though maybe I'm biased ,'cause Raffi is my favorite player), but I definitely agree that he seems to have made a few mistakes this year that have been very un-indicative of his usual awesomeness....do you have any reasons specifically about why you think he's playing poorly, other than "he looks lost"?.....

a couple of the aforementioned un-indicative plays that I can think of offhand are that he's been a little slippery with the puck in his own end a little more - turning over the puck on a couple scary occassions.....he's also normally one of the best in the league at stopping pucks at the blueline and keeping them in the offensive zone when he's playing the point.....I've seen him botch a couple easy ones this year.....

however, I kinda chaulked all this up to selective memory/small sample size and figured he's probably the exact same player (maybe he just had a couple bad games, or bad moments even)......but to hear another Devils fan make mention of it has me wondering......is he banged up or playing with some injury that has him at less than 100 percent?.....

all this aside, I agree with the OP that, generally speaking, Rafalski is one of the most underrated players in the league.....