Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 AM

Default Re: What Company Builds Best Gaming Computers???

[ QUOTE ]
I got my gaming machine off of tigerdirect. I can't remember the company that manufactured it (and I'm not at home right now so I can't check) but they were excellent. My video card died in the first week, I called tech support explained the problem, the guy on the other end asked me a few questions to make sure I knew what I was talking about, and after a total of 20 minutes from dialing to hang-up they had agreed to send me a new video card. Within 48 hours I'd gotten the new one and replaced it and was good to go. The guy on the phone even offered to have a brand new computer shipped to me if I wasn't comfortable replacing the video card myself. I've had no problems since (3-4 months).

I had originally planned to build my own computer but found that I saved $40-$50 by getting it prebuilt.

[/ QUOTE ]Newegg also has a computer building front now,ABS.Although they offer relatively good deals,the word i get is that they are still getting their feet wet on this front.As far as the Voodoo comment by other poster,i agree,im not going there lol But to give props where its do,they do make high quality systems with immaculate builds for people who have money to burn.But as i stated ive eliminated companies like Voodoo and Falcon because of price.The ones im considering offer minimal build charge with great detail on quality of components and build with some of the best costumer service imaginable.Here is Maingear`s budget rig Prelude I would crank it up some for sure.But go price a similar setup with Dell or another large company,then add the fact the a company like Maingear will provide unmatched CS and build,and you can see why im leaning towards them.Also,the few dollars i might save building a system of equal quality is not worth it for a noob like me.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:35 AM

alienware is [censored]...there is no benefit in selecting them besides they look cool and you get a cool t-shirt or something stupid.

please, please, please don't waste your money.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:33 PM

I vote with the build-your-own camp. Building a computer these days is so freakin easy. In the old days it required some knowledge/skill, but these days the hardest part of the whole deal is probably figuring out how to plug the power switch/front panel into the motherboard.

Everything else is cake as long as your are comfortable with a screwdriver.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I vote with the build-your-own camp. Building a computer these days is so freakin easy. In the old days it required some knowledge/skill, but these days the hardest part of the whole deal is probably figuring out how to plug the power switch/front panel into the motherboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

hardest thing for someone to do, IMO, is matching the parts together before ordering...which obviously, for us, is nothing. so OP, if you want to go this route, start asking questions and have people suggest things.

or just use the search feature and look at any of the 1,000 threads regarding "what parts should I buy?" or "does this setup sound good?" or "is this a good deal?", etc.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:39 PM

Thanks guys,i still havent ruled that out completely.Im still a few weeks away from pulling the trigger eithor way.So if i do decide on a prebuilt ill def price everything component wise to get a feel for what kinda ching id be saving if i did it myself.If i did go that route,im sure youll see me post again lol Btw,as far as buying parts online goes,is Newegg the best? I know of them and a few other well known spots,Tiger ect.,any less known better sites???
Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
alienware is [censored]...there is no benefit in selecting them besides they look cool and you get a cool t-shirt or something stupid.

please, please, please don't waste your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, it's a waste of money in that they over-charge you, but the below specifications cannot be ridiculed for a badass gaming PC.

Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB

Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard

2GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 x 1024MB

150GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 10,000 RPM w/ NCQ & 16MB Cache

18x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive

Dual 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX - SLI Enabled - Requires 1000W Power Supply!

Alienware® 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi® High Definition 7.1 Audio

plus the OS/software/random [censored]

That is one badass gaming system, but you can select all of those components to build your own machine and save atleast $2,500 (i havent checked the exact newegg total), as the total was $6599.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The flip side of this is that now you save almost no money building yourself. When I looked for my machine the parts (selected mostly from newegg and tigerdirect) were actually a little more expensive then buying a system from tigerdirect with the exact same parts. Depending on configuration building your own might cost you a bit or save you a bit, but there's not much difference.

I honestly don't understand why people would build their own purely from a money point of view, especially if they don't have previous experience. If you enjoy doing it, or just want the experience of doing it yourself, I understand but it generally doesn't save you much money.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:37 PM

I don't necessarily do it for the cost savings, although depending on your config you can save some cash.

I do it because I can optimize the various subsystems according to _my_ priorities and make sure I don't get any junk. If I'm willing to trade a little video horsepower for a 10K RPM drive, I can do it.

No funky sized power supplies, no motherboards without agp ports (or more recently pci express), no proprietary cases. If something goes bad, in a pinch I can fix it by going to a local computer shop.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would select Alienware, their top tier systems are configured to be better gaming machines than Dell, but I feel bad even giving this advice because if you want the "best gaming computer", you really will save a lot of $$$ building it yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever bought one of their computers?