Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 05:52 AM

Default What Company Builds Best Gaming Computers???

Im considering buying a prebuilt computer.I am kinda slow when it comes to computers,and although im learning everyday while researching my new system,im not ready to make the leap to building myself yet.I know the bigger brands(Dell HP ect.) offer the option to customize,but the specs they offer vs. price is just bad comparing them to other smaller companies.For example,ive looked at places such as Velocity Micro and Maingear and the same $2000 seems to get you alot more at the smaller more personalized outfits than the bigger mainstream ones.Just curious to you guys that are into Gaming and or just computers in general,which company builds the best computers in terms of price,quality and customer service????What about the companies i mentioned???Others???And im a correct to assume that some of these smaller specialized gaming companies will build a better tighter computer and take more care in doing so than a bigger factory based company???
Old 12-12-2006, 01:45 PM

Default Re: What Company Builds Best Gaming Computers???

The big boys (Dell et al) add warrantees and a bunch of "free" crap to their machines, which drives price up, but I'm not sure the deal you'll get at smaller shops would really be better. Dell can sort of make up for their extra crap by getting volume prices on their components.

I chose to build my new computer recently, but if I hadn't, I would have most likely gone with a Dell system... maybe alienware.com if I wanted a gaming rig and didn't mind paying extra.

Edit: One added point re: quality. I've never done an in-depth comparison, but it's possible that smaller shops might undersell the big boys by using the same CPU and graphics card, but a cheaper motherboard, power supply, etc... The big boys are in stiff 'stability' competition with each other, and therefore generally use quality components that work well together.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:09 PM

I would select Alienware, their top tier systems are configured to be better gaming machines than Dell, but I feel bad even giving this advice because if you want the "best gaming computer", you really will save a lot of $$$ building it yourself.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:27 PM

Agreed.

If you're more price-conscious than alienware, have you thought about buying the components and taking it to a mom and pop computer shop to put together? They probably wouldn't charge more than $80-100, and you'll save much more than that buying the components--especially if you already have the operating system.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're more price-conscious than alienware

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure since I'm not a gamer and have no interest in gaming PC's...but didn't Dell buy Alienware and make the prices similar to Dell's "gaming line" (XPS)? Are Aliens really much cheaper?

Like I said, I'm not a gamer and haven't looked into the price difference, but if I was Dell, I'd make the XPS systems equivalent hardware-wise and slightly cheaper, then charging a premium for the "Alienware" name since they built their rep before Dell bought them out.

I have no idea if that's what they've done.....just seems to make sense to me. Easy enough to check out by pricing out equivalent systems.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: One added point re: quality. I've never done an in-depth comparison, but it's possible that smaller shops might undersell the big boys by using the same CPU and graphics card, but a cheaper motherboard, power supply, etc... The big boys are in stiff 'stability' competition with each other, and therefore generally use quality components that work well together.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you're not from the UK. The status quo may well be different elsewhere on the planet.

Over here the "big boys" will quote cheap for a high end CPU / VGA card, and use volume pricing in combination with the cheapest POS custom made motherboard you could imagine.

[ QUOTE ]
What Company Builds Best Gaming Computers

[/ QUOTE ]
Knowledgable gamers build the best gaming computers, followed closely by small screwdriver shops that employ gamers as technicians and will build to order.

[ QUOTE ]

although im learning everyday while researching my new system,im not ready to make the leap to building myself yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make the leap.

It is much easier than you think it will be.

Post any questions you may have, you will be fine.

dave.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the opinions guys.I like to hear every voice i can.Ive narrowed down to a few contenders,but after researching price and experiences,Dell isnt even on my radar.Alienware,i kinda get the feel that they jumped the shark.Ive heard far to many bad reports of late to go there,maybe it was the whole Dell merger that caused them to lose their edge.Voodoo went under the same type of merger,but i still hear great things about them.The problem with them is they offer no real budget type system.Im really not thinking about spending 5-8 grand you know.Im really leaning toward one of these three options,the two i mentioned already Maingear,Velocity Micro,and also OverdrivePc.Anybody have any personal experience with one of these three companies?I have researched this for months now and have all the info i need really,but like i said,i like to hear every opinion i can.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:48 AM

I've had good experiences with http://www.ibuypower.com
Old 12-13-2006, 01:58 AM

Dude, never buy Voodoo. Talk about paying for a name/case, they ought to be arrested for robbery, I'll look at a system of theirs or a system of northwest falcon and i'll see a total of $6,600-$12,000 for a run of the mill, airbrushed case with a standard $2,500 worth of components. ugh. sometimes i think people don't realize they can pick out their own fancy case for under $100, buy the parts at face value and not pay the thousands of commission for the build.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:19 AM

I got my gaming machine off of tigerdirect. I can't remember the company that manufactured it (and I'm not at home right now so I can't check) but they were excellent. My video card died in the first week, I called tech support explained the problem, the guy on the other end asked me a few questions to make sure I knew what I was talking about, and after a total of 20 minutes from dialing to hang-up they had agreed to send me a new video card. Within 48 hours I'd gotten the new one and replaced it and was good to go. The guy on the phone even offered to have a brand new computer shipped to me if I wasn't comfortable replacing the video card myself. I've had no problems since (3-4 months).

I had originally planned to build my own computer but found that I saved $40-$50 by getting it prebuilt.