Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: 2/4NL, Standard fold with top pair on that flop?

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to put him on anything for the moment. Take it up with a min 3 bet, then reevaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 12-13-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
often i'll call here and re-evaluate. if he checks a blankish turn, you're almost certainly ahead. if not, well maybe you're better off letting it go.

the 2 low cards make a NFD+wheel or NFD+4 draw more likely, so be on the lookout for aces, threes, fours and fives.

fold wouldnt be a terrible idea, but if you're gonna fold KQ here all the time you might as well not bet it in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. Also, per his preflop stats, he can have KT/KJ here fairly ofte, and please notice the difference betweeen the K and the 4 on board- all pocket pairs in between are "second pair," which is fairly important to note.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would disagree. Not because I'm trying to be the outcast. If you were to take the lead on the flop with a raise. How could you check the turn if with a hand like AK or a busted draw. You can't check here regardless of what you have. So therefore if the hero called the flop, he basically threw his money away by folding on the turn bet. Honestly, that's a sucker!

Why would you call the flop and fold the turn? Makes no sense. Passive play. Why would the Villian call the flop and fold the turn? Also makes no sense.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:59 PM

First thing, pot bet you puss... this way any raises will give you way more info.
This is NOT a flush draw. Come on, he has TK-KQ and isn't willing to commit much $ to defend it but puts you on FD. $78 in the pot after you bet and he only raises to $100 (net of $68 after call), min reraise him right there. If he calls, check fold...if he pushes/reraises dump it.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First thing, pot bet you puss... this way any raises will give you way more info.
This is NOT a flush draw. Come on, he has TK-KQ and isn't willing to commit much $ to defend it but puts you on FD. $78 in the pot after you bet and he only raises to $100 (net of $68 after call), min reraise him right there. If he calls, check fold...if he pushes/reraises dump it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you call the flop and fold the turn? Makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

You call the flop because if villain is playing a draw fast has an AK type hand, a lot of the time it will be checked to you and then you can make a decision as to what to do next. Obviously, metagame implications are huge as well because if villain knows you will lay down tptk every time you are c/r on the flop then he/she will exploit that in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
Why would the Villian call the flop and fold the turn? Also makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean why villain would raise on the flop and then fold the turn? What if Villain has a flush draw and you call and the turn misses him, and then he checks and you push? Villain should fold then. Another consideration is the Villain's metagame. If you know that villain will push or make a large bet on 4th street every time he c/r on the flop, then he becomes very easy to play against.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:57 PM

Call and get it in on a safe turn.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not one to fold that easy nor get bluffed. You've got to be willing to throw your money around even if your up against the tightest player here. If it's a tricky AA, there's no way he's just going to call your reraise. You still can escape this hand. If he has AK, he'll probably just call. Any sets would probably move in just like Aces would. So, with the 3 bet, either you end it on the flop with your raise, or you have just been a rape victim. If he calls, you have to basically surrender your hand. On the bright side, you did'nt go down without a fight!

[/ QUOTE ]

o hells yea fisher thirty two youve done it again nailed it right on hi five
Old 12-13-2006, 03:10 PM

I've seen a lot more C/R with FD lately. I don't know if there was an article about it somewhere, but it popping up everywhere.

I would call the flop raise. If checked on the turn, I bet it and we're ahead. If he leads weakly into you on the turn, its a draw and i'm calling. If he fires a decent bet on the turn, you're toast and I fold.

I really think 99/TT/JJ are in his range and he's hoping you didn't hit the K.

as far as ppl saying "Why call the flop raise if we're folding the turn" we're calling the flop raise with the current information given. There are a lot of things that can happen on the Turn that lead into a fold/bet/call on the turn.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:32 PM

I definitely like a call on the flop here, to get some more information and re-evaluate things on the river.

If he is aggressive post flop like you say, he probaly would lead a set here on a board like this. You should almost never fold KQ here on this board given the action and information given.

See what he does on the turn, then play accordingly.