Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being Valedictorian

[ QUOTE ]
I am graduating today after returning to school after years of doing 'other' things. I have a GPA over 3.9, and I have been elected as the valedictorian in my course of study.

I am concluding a degree in English looking to pursue my Phd in literary studies in order to become a professor. Ask me some questions as to how I did it, or some general questions about school or how I rock.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Jay

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't mean to but into your life.. but have you looked into the realities of attaining a Phd in literature and then becoming a professor in it? I would advise you to do so. Not only is grad school insanely competitive, but the job hunt is even more so...often 500 Phds applying to 1 mediocre liberal arts college...So, once you've made it this far, you still have 5-10 years till tenure, and untill then you'll just be churning out articles and playing politics and hoping you don't get [censored]-canned for a political reason...then, if you do, you get to be an adjunct at a community college. Read up on the cult of acedemia.

There are plenty of people from the college I graduated from ( Saint John's College ) who are now graduating with their Phds in literature and are begining to regret it.