Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 01:59 PM

Default Re: yo NT, \"ask me\" threads belong in OOT

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No "ask me" thread should go into any forum other than OOT

[/ QUOTE ]

really they shouldn't go in OOT either, for every one good one there are six or eight bad ones

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree to the point where I think you have the ratio upside-down. I can't remember a truly stupid "Ask me" thread (surely they exist and my memory could be jogged, but I just can't off the top of my head). I don't read them all; for example the one that bounced around various forums like a ping-pong ball was of no interest to me, but it seemed to be popular.

Another thing is that we all bitch about the quality of threads started, and "Ask me" threads are, on average, way more interesting than most.

Finally, the OOT traffic is what feeds these threads and helps them to grow. As an example of a good idea dying in a slower forum, Mike Haven had a thread in the Zoo where he wanted everyone to take a picture at a predetermined time and post it to the forum for all to see. While it went almost completely ignored, there is no doubt that in OOT or BBV it would have flourished.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No "ask me" thread should go into any forum other than OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been successful "ask me" threads in many of the 2+2 forums...

Maybe if you looked around a bit more, you might actually find some interesting things.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember a truly stupid "Ask me" thread

[/ QUOTE ]
The "Ask ScottHoward if your thread sucks" was literally the worst post I've seen in ages; at least you guys redeemed the thread somewhat.

I remember seeing one that was like "Ask xxxx about the TV show Frasier" and it turned out he didn't know anything particularly special about the show and couldn't even answer everyone's questions; he was just a fan and wanted an "ask me" thread because "everybody else was doing one."

Personally, I like the "Well" idea: One poster well-recognized in the community posts a thread where people can ask him anything about anything. Those get to be interesting, especially when the poster is well-versed or experienced in a variety of fields.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:37 PM

nath,

Thanks. I definitely wasn't saying there were no bad ones, I just couldn't remember them. Those are two good examples (although I think we turned the ScottHoward one on its head as you mentioned).

NT! has a tough job since everybody has a different definition of what sucks. I do think he made a misstep on that Ask me thread, but whatever. Can't win 'em all.