Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Is Latin America ACTUALLY Dangerous To Travel In?

Yes, rich clients of mine have had family members kidnapped. Mexico, Columbia, Brazil, you name it.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:50 PM

and wha thappened to the pepole kidnaped?
Old 12-08-2006, 05:23 PM

Been to several countries in Latin and South America and haven't been kidnapped yet. I just got back from Colombia last week, yes it's still on the US list of countries not to go to, but I made it back just fine. I don't blend in, I get stared at everywhere I go, and my spanish is pretty poor. Most of the time the locals are just curious WTF are these two gringos doing in the middle of no where.

Been to Colombia, Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, and Costa Rica and multiple times to some of these countries. I'm planning my next trip already.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:41 PM

I just read through a bunch more of the posts in this thread and want to post my experiences.

Colombia.

As 2 very non-latin american looking skinny guys, we went to Bogota, Cartagena, and Medellin. Bogota above Calle 20 is much safer. Below that, during the day it is safe but take normal traveler's precautions. There are cops in military-like uniforms in groups of 3 patrolling every block.

Our hotel was in the 100s and it was very safe to walk around even at night. Now if you're going to strip clubs in [censored] areas late at night then sorry, can't help you there. Otherwise, Parque de la 93 is safe and very trendy. I equate it to a mini-version of union square here in NY.

Cartagena is a beach town but no real reason to go there unless you like small fishing town. It lacks infrastructure like Rio or Cancun and it flooded 2 of the 4 days we were day. It's not dirt cheap as I expected either. We went to some really shady areas but made it back all right. We hired a driver for 7/hr that took us around where ever we wanted to go day or late into the night. He'd caution us where to and where not to go.

Medellin. Generally safe in the upscale neighborhoods. We stayed in Envigado which is supposedly ranked 6, i.e. the best neighborhood. Parque Lleras is yet another upscale trendy area like union square ish and felt very safe. We hit a bunch of strip clubs and other places and didn't feel unsafe. Again we had a full time driver drive us and hang out with us in every bar and club we went to. There are some well connected people living there that cater to American tourists.

Overall I wouldn't recommend Colombia for the casual tourist but if you're a bit daring and willing to take a little risk, it's not a bad place.

Brazil.

Been to Rio by myself and w/ very little Portuguese. Stayed in Copacabana in a rented apartment by myself. Kept it very low key and wore clothes that looked worse than locals. I walked all over and past some not so great neighborhoods to the malls and such. At night, it's not recommended to walk but generally felt ok.

Argentina.

Buenos Aires. I felt the most comfortable here out of all Latin/South American countries. I dress up as I do in NY when going out. Leather shoes, button downs, cologne, and etc. No issues at all. I even passed out in a cab once from drinking way too much and woke up when we got to my apartment. I guess I was lucky.

Uruguay. Nothing to see here, move along. I was bored in BA and decided to stop by.

Costa Rica.

Downtown San Jose is a dump. I did the eco thing, hooked up with some Americans that practically lived there and had a great time. Felt this was a lot more americanized now.

Cancun. This is like another state, didn't feel like traveling out of hte country at all.

Maybe it's youth and stupidity and people didn't want to kidnap me because I looked poor but never really had any problems.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:03 PM

I don't think going to Colombia is the wisest of ideas. Kidnapping is the second biggest industry there and for the most part funds the biggest one (cocaine). If I went there I'd try my hardest to look dirt poor.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:09 PM

Looking flat-ass broke has always kept me and my son out of trouble in the US (even in some sketchy parts of Chicago, NY, and Detroit).

However, even a lower-echelon Gringo traveller has got money worth stealing in Latin America. Figured white skin and bad Spanglish would put a bullseye on my forehead.

I'm still going, but this worries me.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking flat-ass broke has always kept me and my son out of trouble in the US (even in some sketchy parts of Chicago, NY, and Detroit).

However, even a lower-echelon Gringo traveller has got money worth stealing in Latin America. Figured white skin and bad Spanglish would put a bullseye on my forehead.

I'm still going, but this worries me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you going exactly?

I'm half hispanic and speak OK spanish. They definitely know I'm American once I open my mouth though so I'm not sure if this helps me stay safe too much.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is only 1 clean and decent country in latin america, CHILE.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-08-2006, 06:25 PM

The people I know in San Jose say that you can't walk around after dark, anywhere really. I went to lots of bars late at night and never had any problems, but took a taxi everywhere.

The only place I've ever had any trouble like some of the things you're worried about was in Budapest, and that was in a group of about 20...
Old 12-08-2006, 06:38 PM

taxi is generally dirt cheap unless you get into one of those 'special' taxis. We got into one during the day and asked him to put on the meter. The meter jumped at about 10x the regular speed. We got the hell out of there. Lesson learned.