Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: CNET editor Kim and family missing...where is this story going?

I don't know, I'm thinking after 2 days, maybe even a day and half, no signs of anyone and starting to run low on gas no food/water, I would probably leave family and take cellphone try and go for higher ground to get a signal/help etc... I really have no idea, just think staying put for 5 days then leaving is too long.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:46 PM

I know James' family a bit. This is terrible news.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even in this day and age, mother nature owns.

[/ QUOTE ]

And always will.

Sad story though. I don't know why he ventured off the road into some ravine. I'd imagine staying on the road where you know its eventual destination (you just came from there) would be your best hope of finding help.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hmm so you go 5 days in a car in cold weather with no food/water? Do you leave your family to go find something or what? I feel like I would have left much sooner than 5 days?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you ask any rescue worker, there opinion would be for you to stay put, but I just can't see that happening when it is "your family".

One thing I know for sure though, with gas in the car and 2 lighters in my pocket, I could have started a BIG fire no matter how wet the wood in the area was. Been there, done that and once the coals are established, there is no putting out a well made fire.

It is all second guessing of course, nobody knows exactely how they would react given the circumstances.

I have to admit though...I am dyeing to find out WTF dood took off his pants for. Guesses in the office seem to agree that he must have fell into a stream a gotten them soaked, in which case he would have been better off without them on during the cold night.

[/ QUOTE ]

News reports were stating that they think he took off his pants due to cold delirium... I imagine that he started going a little crazy after being exposed to the cold for so long, and who knows what was going through his mind. I find this story incredibly sad.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:55 PM

He was wearing two pairs of pants, so he still has pants and a heavy coat. He may have used the pants as a marker for his location.

The S&R team has placed plenty of survival kits in the area where they believe he is (200 square mile area). Hopefully he can find one.

My biggest question that I havent heard answered is why the [censored] they were on a snowy logging road in the first place, they should have never been more then minutes away from I-5.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:55 PM

Not that I blame a tragedy on anyone or anything, but I heard on the news that they were verbally warned not to drive down forest service roads. Apparently, there were multiple warning signs posted as well.

The sudden snow storm in the NW got them into trouble.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:01 PM

I was under the impression he got lost, or hte road was closed and he took a detour and got lost. I don't know.

Bottom line: You your spouse and 2 kids, all wearing probably a pair of pants, boots (optimistic) 2 layers + a jacket. No food or water in the car except maybe a few snacks for the trip that would no doubt be finished by the first night. Full tank of gas (optimistic), some luggage for your vacation...what do you do, assume there is no way you can get your car out and you have been driving for the last i don't know...20-50 miles away form civilization? What do you do? How far do you think you can get? If it's really bad probabbly like a mile or 2 an hour on foot, if it is a clean winter day the ground is just covered in a few inches of snow, best you could probably do is 3-4 miles/hour....what do you do.

ps - i was reading that she fed teh kids? WTF? They are 7 and 4, how is she breastfeeding? So confused.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ps - i was reading that she fed teh kids? WTF? They are 7 and 4, how is she breastfeeding? So confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

7 months and 4 years. She really got lucky here.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:03 PM

ah, good call. heh.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:03 PM

7 months and 4 years.

I don't know why, but I have been glued to this story. I'm pretty sad about it, though the end result was fairly predictable. The mother and kids are blessed for sure. Not sure what mom was eating during the ordeal.

Related, there was another Oregon family of 6 lost looking for a Christmas tree about 10 days ago. I lost track of that one. Anybody know how it turned out?