Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 04:58 PM

Default CNET editor Kim and family missing...where is this story going?

OK, so a few days ago they say he went on a trip with the fam. and never checked in to the hotel they were supposed to go to, then it turned into a search, now i hear they found the kids and wife but not him...I'm confused, where is this going? Were they abducted? Did they get separated and the kids were found, confused. WTF is going on. I could read about it, but I don't feel like sifting through all the crap. Someone just give me the story straight up.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: CNET editor Kim and family missing...where is this story going?

The guy left his family in the truck, which had gotten stuck, to go find help. They found the wife and kids in the car but the guy hadn't returned.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:02 PM

- Driving home from family function (I think)
- Get stuck on remote mountain road
- Stay there for a number of days (around 5 I believe) burning gas from car and eventually tires from car
- Around day 5(I think) he leaves to go find help, he has on pants, boots, heavy jacket, couple of lighters
- Around day 8 or 9 the family is found (the mother tried to make cell phone calls, they didn't get through but helped narrow down the search area)
- Most recently they found Kim's pants and another personal item around a river

this should be moved to POG (puzzles and other games forum)...

was it suicide?
did he drown?
was the doctor female?
were they driving an ice cream truck?

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so a few days ago they say he went on a trip with the fam. and never checked in to the hotel they were supposed to go to, then it turned into a search, now i hear they found the kids and wife but not him...I'm confused, where is this going? Were they abducted? Did they get separated and the kids were found, confused. WTF is going on. I could read about it, but I don't feel like sifting through all the crap. Someone just give me the story straight up.

[/ QUOTE ]

They ditched their car in the snow on a wrong-turn backroad and got stuck.

He stayed with the family for 5 days, then set off on foot.

Next day, they find the wife and kids, but no sign of him. He told his wife when he left that he would be back within 5 hours either way, so they figure he is within 5 miles of where they found the car/wife/kids.

I guess they found what they believe to be his pants [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] yesterday, and possibly another article of clothing today, but that is the last I have heard...

Hard to say if he should have left the car or not.

On one hand, he may have saved his family (cell phone on, he got close enough to a signal for them to triangulate), but on the other...he may cost him his life.

Nobody knows he him hiking away from the car is what enabled them to locate the signal or if they would have gotten it anyway.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:03 PM

The husband went off to look for help on his own and they got seperated. None of the news reports I saw, said what had caused them to be stranded. There was bad weather. It is not looking good for him.

I see this guy on my TIVO all the time. He is in these CNET Segments reviewing MP3 players. He seems like a decent guy and I hope he is OK.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:03 PM

body located [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

James Kim's Body Found in Oregon Wilderness
Search crews have found the body of a missing San Francisco man. Josephine County Under-Sheriff Brian Anderson said Kim's body was found at just after noon on Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-06-2006, 06:38 PM

hmm so you go 5 days in a car in cold weather with no food/water? Do you leave your family to go find something or what? I feel like I would have left much sooner than 5 days?
Old 12-06-2006, 06:40 PM

Kinda ironic story, i guess just goes to show you that even in this day and age with all our technologies and advancements, mother nature owns.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm so you go 5 days in a car in cold weather with no food/water? Do you leave your family to go find something or what? I feel like I would have left much sooner than 5 days?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you ask any rescue worker, there opinion would be for you to stay put, but I just can't see that happening when it is "your family".

One thing I know for sure though, with gas in the car and 2 lighters in my pocket, I could have started a BIG fire no matter how wet the wood in the area was. Been there, done that and once the coals are established, there is no putting out a well made fire.

It is all second guessing of course, nobody knows exactely how they would react given the circumstances.

I have to admit though...I am dyeing to find out WTF dood took off his pants for. Guesses in the office seem to agree that he must have fell into a stream a gotten them soaked, in which case he would have been better off without them on during the cold night.