Default Re: I got a Set of Fours

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop, I'd raise
Flop, I'd raise
Turn, I'd raise
River, I'd check behind

[/ QUOTE ]

Did somebody hack the village nit's account? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-05-2006, 03:07 PM

Given your line, fine...I don't mind calling flop/bombing turn where our equity is raised. Raising the flop/shove turn also has its merits.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:29 PM

Why are you guys wanting to raise preflop so much? It is ok to raise sometimes, but it is not a mistake to limp.
In my experience the way you make money with small pairs is in the set value, not to blow people off their hands. Here are the scenarios if you raise:
Everyone folds: You win a small pot, this is ok, but you have lost the opportunity to hit a set and win a big hand.
You get reraised: You probably have to fold (depending on the size of the raise), if you had just limped you could have played the hand and won a big pot if you hit your set. If you miss you have an easy laydown without committing very much.
1 or 2 callers: If you hit your set great, but when you miss your going to be in a difficult spot.

Keep in mind I am not saying raising is wrong, but limping has its advantages as well. It really goes back to what your playing style is.

Regarding this specific hand, I would have played it the same way except I probably would have checked the river. (unless I had read that the villain was a calling station).
Old 12-05-2006, 03:35 PM

Any PP is an auto raise for 6max. The only exception is if there is someone who 3bets light so you don't get to see a flop. But you don't run into them often.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:41 PM

If I PFR'd I knew UTG would call. The problem was I figured one of the loose blinds would call as well. And, as I'd rather be HU with 44 if I pfr, I decided to just limp. Bad?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I PFR'd I knew UTG would call. The problem was I figured one of the loose blinds would call as well. And, as I'd rather be HU with 44 if I pfr, I decided to just limp. Bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, yeshhhhhhhhhh

44 is awesome there, just for set value.

Think about the times, pretty much like this where it would only take 2 raises to be all in.

We raise so we can get it in easy when we set, we can also win a lot by c-betting scary / easily missed flops and win by having the best hand.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

44 is awesome there, just for set value.

Think about the times, pretty much like this where it would only take 2 raises to be all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, these guys wouldn't be shy about getting their money in if I did hit a set and they hit something...(as you see in this hand)

Plus, if it were 3-way (which was my main concern if I pfr'd), they'd call a flop bet with any piece.

Meh.

(This was from last nite, and iirc I had raised a few times immediately previous to this over a limper, and was getting pwnd by it. My default is to always raise this up)
Old 12-05-2006, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're better at this game than I am, but I don't buy your logic. I'm raising 44 to profit it from it one of two ways: winning uncontested with a c-bet postflop, or hitting my set and taking down a monster pot. So in either case, I'm not that concerned with having 2 opponents instead of 1. 2 is a little worse for taking it down on the flop, but not a lot worse, especially since I have position on the field. (Now, 3 opponents starts to kind of suck....)

The situation where I would really care about getting HU would be if I expected to take my 44 to showdown unimproved. Maybe it's the ring game talking, but that happens to me very, very seldom.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 PM

Chip the problem playing it this way is that many times you end up playing a decent sized pot with only a small pair. I agree that when you hit your set after you raise you are going to be in postion to win a big pot, but there is a good chance your going to hit a big pot if you limped also. The biggest advantage of raising preflop is that it puts you in the lead to take down the pot when everyone misses. I guess you have to decide if that is a big enough advantage to consistenly raise small pairs. I think it really depends on the type of game you are in. If the game is aggresive I would play the small pairs more passively, and vice versa in a passive game.