Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Roger Ebert is a hack

[ QUOTE ]
you're wrong, IMO...he's a great writer and while I don't agree with ever review of his, they are always well-thought out and informative.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. And on his TV show he explains his opinions well enough that I nearly always can tell if I'll like a movie or not based on his review (and it isn't as simple as he liked == I liked), but since he explains why he likes the movies he likes and why he doesn't like the movies he doesn't I'll know from that. Also, watching his reviews after I've seen the movie I'll sometimes get something new out of the movie that I hadn't noticed before. Those are hard skills.

Siskel also had those talents, although not quite as much as Ebert. Roeper clearly doesn't have these abilities and his reviews are weak opinions on if he liked the film without enough information to tell if I'd like the films.

[ QUOTE ]
A Clockwork Orange is Kubrick's weakest film and is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very not true. A Clockwork Orange is one of Kubrick's better films (I've only seen half of Kubrick's films but the only one that is clearly better than ACO is Strangelove).
Old 11-27-2006, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A Clockwork Orange is Kubrick's weakest film and is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are just being contrarian or do you honestly believe ACO is worse than Killer's Kiss?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Roger Ebert is a boob fiend.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. He's given a lot of medicore movies great reviews, and coincidentally those movies starred hot actresses. Don't have any examples offhand but I remember noticing the correlation in the past.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. He's given a lot of medicore movies great reviews, and coincidentally those movies starred hot actresses. Don't have any examples offhand but I remember noticing the correlation in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welll he was good friends with Russ Meyer, the king of big boobs (as mentioned earlier, Ebert even co-wrote Beyond the Valley of the Dolls). But to say he rates films partially based on the cup size of actresses is kinda nutty.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:36 AM

Roger Ebert is a genius. Or a very fine craftsman, at the least.

Whenever I rent a movie or go to a theater movie I return home and read Ebert's review. I never fail to learn something from his writing.

His most amazing review was the 3.5 stars given to Beavis & Butt-head do America. As someone approaching 40 I scratched my head before reading it--3.5 stars for those dopes? But his review persuaded me otherwise. Other people I show this review to sort of look at me skeptically at first, but upon reading it it is as if a light goes on and you can see the, "aahhhhh, I get it." btw most of my friends are over 40, so that should explain the skepticism. Beavis is one example and I could go on with other insights (Casablanca, he writes, is great because EVERY character in the movie is interesting. You think back and it's really true.)

I hope he gets well soon. He must be pretty sick if he can't write, but writing up to his level likely takes some effort.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Welll he was good friends with Russ Meyer, the king of big boobs (as mentioned earlier, Ebert even co-wrote Beyond the Valley of the Dolls). But to say he rates films partially based on the cup size of actresses is kinda nutty.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is totally true. He'll give certain movies a pass because it stars a hot actress (not always just the boobs, someone like j-lo has often got the Ebert pass). But the nice thing, at least from his TV reviews, is that it totally comes across that this is what he's doing. And, IMHO, often he's right. A hot actress will sometimes save a movie or at least turn an average-minus movie into average or even average-plus. It isn't always enough (Halle Berry, Catwoman).
Old 11-27-2006, 07:04 AM

Volver

/ / / November 22, 2006

by Roger Ebert
Old 11-28-2006, 02:23 AM

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/.../51220004/1023 wolf creek

examaple of a review by ebert that pisses some people off. he explains his position effectively, i just think its a lame position. but everyone has the right to their opinion.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:25 AM

for instance, tarantino said wolf creek = scariest film he has ever seen.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:42 AM

I love reading Ebert's movie reviews on his website. Sheer gold, IMHO.